Quiz

Picture of Aitor Rz
Limit of characters in quiz answer

Hi,

Is there way to limit the length of the answers in a quiz (moodle 1.9)? May be a new type of answer or something similar?

Greets & Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Limit of characters in quiz answer
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Aitor,

Your question is not clear, because there are no "answers" to a quiz, but there are answers to questions inside a quiz. Which type of question do you want to limit the length of answers to: the short answer question or the essay question?

Please also note that all development has stopped on Moodle 1.9, which is now considered an obsolete version.

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Aitor Rz

Hi, Joseph:

For example, I need to limit the length of short answer. I don't mind if it's a new type of question.

I need to use 1.9 version because it's a legacy system.

Aitor

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Do you want to limit the length of answers to all short answer questions on your 1.9 Moodle site?

Or do you need an extra setting on the Edit page of a short answer question for the teacher to limit that length per question? That second option would indeed need a new question type, but I'm afraid no-one is going to propose to develop a new question type for such an old version of Moodle as 1.9.

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Jean-Michel Védrine
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello Aitor,

I am afraid there are now very few question type authors working on Moodle 1.9.

I, for one, would be totally unable to do a 1.9 question type now, because 1.9 is so long ago and I have forgotten  a lot of things on how it was working.

Doing that for recent Moodle versions would be quite easy and i think it could be done very quickly.

I hope you will find somebody able to help you with that problem.

If not, and if you can't upgrade, you will have to find a workaround. maybe telling your students in the question text they must limit their response to xx characters would work ? Students tend (generaly) to stick to the rules to get good grades !

Average of ratings:Useful (2)