Moodle 2.3 Backup Area

Moodle 2.3 Backup Area

by Simon Hall -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Guys,

I have asked this before but didnt get any response so I'll try once again smile

I have Moodle up and running but I cannot find the directory on my server where Moodle saves its course backup's. I have scheduled a backup of all courses but I cannot find them.

I remember reading something about having to create a folder outside of the Moodle directory on the server but I need some concrete information on where to do this.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Hall

Re: Moodle 2.3 Backup Area

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Uploaded files as well as backups (automated [if not opting to save backups to an alternate location] or manual) are kept in moodledata/filedir/ but not in any human re-cognizable format/filename.

The Moodle interface, even as an admin level user, gives no tool to 'browse files'.  The following query will show all backups:

select * from `mdl_files` where `component` like "%backup%"

The filearea column of the output of the above query will show if the backup file found is in the 'course' area or in 'automated'.

If you have automated backups going to the course area plus an alternative directory (example: /home/m2backups/), that directory must be created manually and owned/readable/writable by the apache user.  Moodle will not create it for you.  If your automated backups are working, one will see a listing of all backups it has processed in that directory.

Hope this helps!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Simon Hall -

Hi Ken, and thanks for the reply.

So from the Automated Backup Setup I have enabled the 'course area plus an alternative directory' and created that directory on my server but I'm not seeing any backups after scheduling a day and time - the logs are also empty.

I have also searched the server for the 'moodledata' directory but cannot find it - is this my problem, or is there something else I have missed ?

Thanks again.

In reply to Simon Hall

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

'moodledata' is the 'typical' folder name for Moodle data (such as backups) ... as per install instructions and as per accepting defaults during the install of Moodle code.  If you host somewhere that provided a script to install Moodle, that might be called something else.  Think I've seen 'uploaddata' mentioned in these forums but don't remember what provider.

The alternate directory you created ... are permissions set to allow apache user to write to it?

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Site_Backup_for_Low-tech_Users

Have you setup a cron job for Moodle and/or run the cron job for Moodle? 

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Cron

Running the cron job is when the schedule for automated backups will 'kick in'. 

Try this and let's see what happens:

http://yoursite/admin/cron.php

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Simon Hall -

Hey Ken,

Thank you - after running the cron job the backups have now appeared.

Thanks again.