Installation help

Picture of Lisa Westbrook
red light on MySQL server

When first downloaded, Apache and MySQL both green - then went in to moodle admin and started creating - thinking could go back and figure out how to config - but stepped away from computer and when I came back, MySQL is red and link to local host gone? first with a database error and next time i clicked said file not found. Tried deleting and reloading but never got green light on MySQL again. Set up server on MAC - clueless sorry just playing with for first time - know I need to do something in htdocs. Appreciate any links to "for dummies" install on MAC  sad

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: red light on MySQL server
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, for me, a Mac is the first problem, but that is just an opinion.sad 

In the Mac, you should still be able to access MySQL via Finder. If you can't then it has probably been iHexed so your best bet would be to uninstall it completely. Test your server installation making sure the server and PHP still work. Can you run and see the phpinfo file? When happy, you have configured both the server and PHP properly. If you cannot see the phpinfo file, then you need to look for information on how to do that.  

(I assume you have installed Apache/PHP and not the MAMP all in one installer. In either case, have then gone to System Preferences > Internet and Network to click the Sharing icon and activated Web Sharing?)

You should then be able to reinstall MySQL and have it work. However, be aware, Macs will often deactivate MySQL, I understand, but I do not know for myself, you need to go to Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM and ensure that the variable MYSQLCOM=NO is set to YES. If it is already at YES then there is another problem. These files may also be hidden and you might need to reset the attributes of the hidden files to see them. (I do not know how this goes with the Moodle Mac installer package, but all this relates far better to installing Apache, PHP and MySQL as discreet packages. All this may just be speculative and not worth the time to read it. But look anyway see if you can see what this might be... Good luck.

Thanks Colin. This info will help. I did install the whole MAMP and it seems that the MySQL was deactivated. Since I already popuated the moodle 24 with about 10 classes and descriptions I didn't want to uninstall that part (and I'm hoping not to lose that part since I did it on the fly)...but did trash and try to reinstall the MAMP but never got the green light again on MySQL. I'll think through your suggestions and maybe try to find a local MySQL/PHP person to contract to help me through this part if I can.

Honestly, if its the 'mac' that's the difficult part, I'd be happy to consider getting the appropriate PC homeserver but not sure what exactly I'd need. If its just my ignorance and the Mac can work fine (assuming I ever succeed at the install) I'd rather not invest in another. Catch 22, smile Thanks again. In considering looking for someone who really knows the AMP part of the MAMP (hehe) I'm finding most who do aren't Mac guys. smile Cheers.

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Opinions aside, perhaps your best resource is: http://documentation.mamp.info/en/mamp

The mysql server daemon shut down for some reason.  Did you attempt to restart it by clicking the appropriate button?  How about after rebooting the workstation?

Might need to re-install ... turning off any MaxOSX options you may have turned on.  See:

http://documentation.mamp.info/en/mamp/installation/updating-mamp

For a method where one doesn't loose what one has created to this point.

The MAMP package, BTW, installs a separate Apache server (2.2.x) from that which is built into MacOSX web sharing (1.3.x).

From MAMP FAQ:

Why should I use MAMP? Isn't everything already installed in OS X?

At the moment, when using OS X, only Apache 1.3.x with PHP 4.3.2 is pre-installed. PHP has to be activated by changing the configuration files. The Apache/PHP versions provided by Apple are not always up-to-date, and the Apache-PHP combination is quite slow. In addition, MySQL has to be installed manually.
With one click, and in just a few minutes MAMP will install Apache 2, current PHP 4, current PHP 5 and MySQL. Using the included eAccelerator, PHP-scripts are executed up to ten times faster compared to Apple's pre-installed Apache/PHP. When you use the MAMP programme, you can easily start and stop the server. Thus, the server does not have to be running in the background all the time, wasting precious resources. To "uninstall" MAMP, you only have to delete the MAMP directory and everything returns to the original state (MAMP does not alter anything on the "normal" OS X).

http://www.mamp.info/en/documentation/faq.html

IMHO, MAMP is just fine for a beginner and useful in developing Moodle courses for the first time without having to tackle server admin on remotely hosted systems.  Once you decide you would like to move your course to the web, the 'ball game' changes and some more learning/re-learning will be required.  But that's another posting. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Ken - the reason I want the courses on the web is so I can reach my local area audience with enrichment courses (me and about 5 other teachers who work largely as adjuncts and part-time at private schools)  I taught history at a 2-day a week private school that was largely homeschoolers and other kids who athletic/music/theater schedules require something besides the public school schedules but most of these little private schools haven't embraced what Moodle offers and even if they need to face Blackboard once they hit community college or university, I think it would be fun for them to get a taste of a distance learning or enrichment during high school years so their LMS isn't a totally new experience when they get to that point. Thanks for listening! So doesn't that mean I need to find a way to get my moodle on the web?

Picture of Ken Task

I hear ya ... loud and clear.  Totally agree.  Looks like your goal necessitates a true server - the MAMP download from Moodle.org meant for development only.  The MAMP from the home site is closer to server, but if running on a home network, much more technical config involved.  Not something I'd advise at this point in time considering experience.

Why be the one who shoulders all this?  Talk to those 5 other persons ... at least share the expense!

Wish I could advise on a good hosting provider for Moodle.  Maybe others would care to recommend.

Best of Luck on your pursuit!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Thanks for making that clear that the MAMP download is meant for development. Does that mean I could develop all the content at home and then at some point port the content to a home server? The 5 friends are willing to help with expense but less techy than I even so it seems were doomed sad  

One of the schools were I occasionally teach uses RenWeb and said RenWeb makes Moodle available as a separate service (they've never set it up since they see it as only for distance ed and don't know if there are extra costs but I'm assuming there are) but I need to find out what RenWeb's deal is and see if they providing/setting up the server and then letting the specific schools then login to pages and customize to their needs.

I'll take it slow and read all the pages you suggested - meanwhile looking for someone local to help set up the server in my little home library. My resistance to going to work for a school full-time and being a vehicle for their curriculum/moddle doodles stems from the desire to provide my own curated content (like creative writing/storytelling and analyzing letter-writing as a genre from 18th/19th century and Mary Shelly's use of letters and her infusion of political philosophy in her writing. I have an ongoing argument with a few friends (very few but who irritate me to no end) who talk down fiction as meaningless while my stand is that fiction is full of truth. smile 

Thanks for the honest heads-up about the uphill climb. Cheers.

Picture of Ken Task

Yes, the locally installed MAMP package from Moodle.org would allow you to develop courses.  Then, when you do have a server setup, backups from the local MAMP server could be restored to the server.  That isn't that techie. ;)

As far as a hosting solution for Moodle, one could Google for that, but maybe the one that is 'right' for your needs is SiteGround.  Affordable packages and they have a form to use in installing Moodle.  Just make sure the local version is either a lower version or same as what runs on the server. (locally developed courses in version 2.4.1 may not be restorable to a server running 2.3.x)

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/moodle/

You should know I don't host Moodles with SiteGround but there have been some folks in these forums who have/are.

In looking at their offerings, my only concern is having enough 'umph' to run a site for 5 teachers and their students ... depends upon number of students, etc..

Cheap is good for pocketbook, but sometimes one gets what one pays for! Every journey begins with one step ... so start walking! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Ken Task

To verify, just downloaded and installed MAMP.  It now includes a Pro version (installs along side) as well as just MAMP.  Think you are using the MAMP (and not Pro) from what you described.  Also think that's the best option at this point considering experience level.  One reason - it automagically launches FireFox linking to your MAMP install with tabs for things like phpmyadmin, etc.  Pretty slick, if you ask me.

As far as why MySQL server shut down ... could be, when you stepped away, the computer went to sleep.  An app like MySQL used in this fashion might not be able to 'wake up' again - thus requires shutdown and re-launching.

As far as htdocs ... that folder is what is known as 'document root' in Apache terms.  Your installation of Moodle goes in that folder.  In this case, having installed the package from the MAMP site, one has to install Moodle manually - which includes downloading and extracting the moodle code (folder) in htdocs, creating a data directory and setting appropriate permissions, and creating a MySQL DB for Moodle with character set utf8 collation utf8_general_ci.

If one wants the easiest way possible, download the package from Moodle.org:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Complete_Install_Packages_for_Mac_OS_X

http://download2.moodle.org/macosx/

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Thanks Ken - So glad to have these useful insights and resource links. I didn't see the Pro version as an option when I downloaded as a whole package from Moodle's MAC downloads and when I went straight to MAMP's website to try again wasn't sure if I should try the Pro version first. I see I have a learning curve  - hope I'm successful and I'll let ya'll know! Best Wishes!

smile