Grading Assignment Upload Question

Grading Assignment Upload Question

by George Bradford -
Number of replies: 2

In Moodle 2.4 when you grade offline using something else like a spreadsheet, the moodle way to upload grades is to first download a CSV worksheet that has enrolled course members listed as "Participant" + a unique number.

The difficulty with this is that the scheme changes the unique Participant number from assignment to assignment.

Is there another way to successfully upload assignment scores that instead uses a different field than the "Participant" + a unique number, such as the username that is drawn from the list of enrolled students? 

I have tried doing it this way and it always fails uploading.

Can anyone point me to an answer?

-George

Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Bradford

Re: Grading Assignment Upload Question

by Stephen Nutbrown -

What is the error message that you get when it fails uploading?

In reply to Stephen Nutbrown

Re: Grading Assignment Upload Question

by George Bradford -

Hi Stephen,

First, thanks for the question and reply.

I have resolved this problem by not using that particular method of uploading grades and feedback commentary. Since that strategy (ie, using the downloaded XL worksheet) seems to be limited by not accepting the username field and restricting to only comma separated values, I instead use the general import tab via the gradebook. This works for me.

So, to your question, I would only get an error when I tried using a field other than the prescripted "Participant" + a whole number approach as the key field.

I do have a follow-on question that I may need to post as a new item though: is there a place where the maximum number of chars is set that will go into a comment field, or is this a field that must be restricted in size for other reasons?

I either want to change the maximum allowable or to know the limit. If you happen to know this, please let me know.

Again, thanks for your support.

-George