Teaching with Moodle

Picture of Ricardo Rodriguez
Can you help me in reconfiguring my course?

I was using a course for several times in the past without any problem. Now I have to reconfigurate it again and I to just made changes in dates, as I did in the past, however now it appears a message which I include with this, not allowing to re-configurate my course.

What can I do...?...I will be pleased to listen some recommedations from you in order to fix this problem..Is urgent..

Thanks in advance

Regards...

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Lesli Smith
Re: Can you help me in reconfiguring my course?
Group Testers

Hi, Ricardo.

I don't think I've ever seen this message before, so I'm going to be guessing here, but first the picture seems to indicate that you get this message immediately when you turn editing on for the course--before you even get to the part where you are trying to change dates on activities?

Confirming that is when you see this message will be the first step in figuring out where to go next.

Also, do you have site admin privileges or are you strictly a teacher in this course?  And how soon is this course supposed to be going live with its activities?

Thanks!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Dear Leslie,

Thanks so much for your time dedicated to support me in fixing this difficulty with my course.

Well..let me explain you the facts before I received the message attached.

1. I could enter to the course content and then I went to the configure option to change dates of the course as I did in the past without any problem

2. I tried to press the key at the end of the content page in order to fix/save the new dates configuration of the course content, however it appeared the message I am showing you.

3. Then I start to review which possible mistake I have made and I realized that I was not configured as administrator of the course. Then I proceed to do it. I thought that this could be the problem.

4. I did a test again, doing the same as numbers 1 and 2, but the same message appeared again.

5. Then I thought I have to clean all the files and message from previours participants of the course, erasing all them.

6.. I test again and I tried to re-configure the course but again the same message apperared.

7. I have tested other courses to see if I have the same problem and no, I have this problem only in this course.

I hope that this comment will clarify you about this issue.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Picture of Lesli Smith
Group Testers

Hmmm. That helps--you are talking about the overall edit settings screen for the course where you set enrollment available dates.  Have you embedded new files or videos or something in the course description area that could be exceeding your allowed upload limit?

It sounds as if you can get to the edit screen under edit settings, you just can't save changes?  

If so, look at your course description area and look for possible trouble there (see attached view of my course settings area):

coursesettingshelp

Then try saving again.  If that doesn't work, next steps might be to walk you through possible options for re-creating the course in a new shell, hopefully without the parts that are causing a problem if we can figure out what those parts are.  Any other screen shots you are able to provide would be helpful.

Picture of Lesli Smith
Group Testers

Hi, Ricardo.  Any luck?  I should have probably mentioned this earlier, but you are posting in the teacher forums, which means you are less likely to get the attention of technical type help here.

I'm a teacher who has picked up a couple of technical tips along the way. I do what I can when I can, but I don't always have the right technical lenses on.

I just realized in looking at the pic again that the reason I probably don't recognize the error message is that it might be coming from your host and not from Moodle?  I'm not sure, but the 413 part makes me think that is a possibility.  Soooo...you might need to take this up with your host--or if the possibilities I've suggested haven't been helpful yet, try the General help forum where you are more likely to get someone more versed in server error types and where to go next.  

If you post there, please provide the following information for those trying to help: Moodle version, your level of access on the site, and a shot of the last place you were before you got that error.

If you are the site admininstrator, you shouldn't need to make yourself a teacher in the course to edit course settings, so where you said, "Maybe I have to be a teacher/course administrator" and made yourself a teacher wasn't probably the issue. I was just trying to find out if we'd need to troubleshoot from only inside the course or if you had the ability to see the site admin panel, too, which would also mean you have the ability to fully backup and restore a course if that was needed.  I hope you are getting closer to a solution.

Best,

Lesli 

Dear Leslie,

Your advices were so useful for me....Thanks very much.

Exactly, the problem was outside Moodle. The problem was with my host .  The problem was that they had some security restrictions to the host area where my moodle installation is located. So I told them about my problem and they very easily recognized that it was a problem at their side.

They did some internal changes in my hosting site and the problem was fixed very promptly.

I learnt something more managing Moodle with this experience.

Leslie, I want to thank very much for you support, time, comments and help.

You have a friend in Lima, where I am at your orders for anything you need.

All the very best for you,

Ricardo.

Picture of Lesli Smith
Group Testers

Oh, good.  I'm glad you figured it out. 

Happy continued Moodling!  smile