Assignment

Picture of Rob Hardy
One teacher unable to view assignment submissions

We are on Moodle 2.3.3+. A Tutor (our term for "editingteacher") has recently reported that he is unable to view submissions for a particular assignment (the grading table page shows "Nothing to display"). He is able to view submissions for assignments on other courses, and another tutor on the same course is able to view submissions for this assignment. Other permissions appear to function correctly, and he can even edit settings for this assignment.

They are both shown as enrolled via LDAP as tutors on the course in the Moodle interface. I checked the database, and they have the same roleid in mdl_role_assignments for the course's contextid.

This looks similar to MDL-26284, but the assignment is using the new (2.3) assignment module and the new lib.php doesn't contain the SQL shown in the description.

Has anyone else seen this, and any suggestions that could point us towards a solution?

Thanks,

Rob.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Daniel Wolff
Re: One teacher unable to view assignment submissions

Rob,

We are also having this problem with only one instructor.  It is something specific to her account as all other instructors with the same role as her can see the students.  It is only happening for a few assignments not all of them.

When I log in as her on a variety of OS's and browsers I see the problem.  I have tried adding additional roles to her to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't make a difference.

Please post a follow up here if you find a solution and I will do the same.

Regards,

Dan

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

The following a long shot, but ...

In Site Admin menu at bottom there is a "Assignment Upgrade Helper" which takes one to a page that has links ... the top one:

List assignments that have not been upgraded - You can upgrade individual assignments from here

Is the problem assignment listed in the "List"?

Ran across this on a migration of a 1.9.x site to 2.3.x.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Daniel Wolff

Ken,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be our cause (no assignments are listed there).

If it was happening to all our instructors I would almost feel better about it.  Because it is only happening to this one instructor for these one set of assignments (she can grade other assignments just fine) I am somewhat at a loss of where to begin troubleshooting.  Our support partner is looking into her account to see if something wacky is happening to her database entry (corruption?).

Regards,

Dan

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, said it was a long shot ... miss! sad  Here's another thought ... in early versions of Moodle one could add assignment type add-ons.  Did ya have any of those and did this one teacher use?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Daniel Wolff

It is a fairly fresh install of Moodle, was 2.x then upgraded to 2.3.3.  All of our teachers are basically non-editing teachers they can't add any activities or modules to the course.

I am hoping to hear back from the database snoopers before the end of the week.  I will post any findings (or lack thereof here)

Picture of Chester Folming

If I was in your situation I would be looking at the unique identifier (userid), is it unique for this tutor. Or is it replaced with 999999.

I suppose you checked that this person is not registred as both student and tutor in the course (e.g. by manual enrolement) this could also explain the confused/conflicting behavior.

Picture of Daniel Wolff

Chester thank you for your involvement in this discussion.

Is the userID something I should be having someone check in the database or is it the

profile.php?id=212

that I can see on the end of her profile page?  If so that's the snippet of her ID.

Well I am sorry I was a little sloppy - I was refering to the ldap mapped ID number. If you go to the individual user you will need him/her to have a unique number.

So if you go to the users profile page you can see if this is unique. We had some users that somehow was created wrong and they got the ID number 999999. And they misbehaved..

The other option is important too - that this user does not have both editing teacher (tutor) and student rights in the course since this could create a conflict. Editing teachers have a difference in permission on mod/assign:grade - where this is allowed for editing teacher but not for students.

I meant to write:

The other option is important too - that this user does not have both non editing teacher (tutor) and student rights in the course since this could create a conflict. Editing teachers have a difference in permission on mod/assign:grade - where this is allowed for editing teacher but not for students.

Picture of Daniel Wolff

This instructor has only one role (a non-editing teacher role) which is the same role other instructors in the course have.  They can see all the students in the assignment while she cannot.  For other assignments she can see everything just fine.

Picture of Rob Hardy

Thanks for the replies. Still not managed to work out what's going on here.

The user is only enrolled once on the course, and has only one role_assignment for it, and his idnumber is unique. I tried setting debugging to 'ALL' but no unusual errors were written to the log, also no JavaScript errors are displayed in Firefox's web console.

I'd be tempted to log it on the Moodle Tracker, if I could find anything that would help anyone replicate the problem.

Rob.

Picture of Rob Hardy

Posted too hastily - I think I've solved it, Daniel.

I checked in the user_preferences table (mdl_user_preferences in our database) - the user had assign_filter set to 'submitted' (where all assignments had already been graded). I cleared this, and the user could see the list of submissions again.

I still can't see where this is set in the interface, but assuming the username is j.bloggs, the (My)SQL to do this would be:

set @userid = (select id from mdl_user where username = 'j.bloggs');

-- check current value

select * from mdl_user_preferences where name = 'assign_filter' and userid = @userid;

-- update value

update mdl_user_preferences set value = '' where name = 'assign_filter' and userid = @userid;

Picture of Daniel Wolff

Rob,

Thank you for your investigation.  I am checking with our tech team to see if our problem is the same.

Dan

Picture of Daniel Wolff

Rob,

That fix worked for us as well.  Thank you for your investigative skills!  Any idea what would of caused it to happen?  We are all pretty baffled over here.

Regards,

Dan

Picture of Rob Hardy

Hi Daniel,

I think that I understand this better now...

I looked at two assignments on our system. The first has "File submissions" set to "Yes" under Submission settings. The other (the assignment for which the problem was raised, which was created only to allow feedback on exam performance) has both "Online  text" and "File submissions" set to "No" - i.e., it doesn't allow any submissions.

In the former case, there is a "Filter" drop-down in the options section below the "View/grade all submissions" grid. This does not appear when viewing the assignment that doesn't allow submissions. However, it appears the filter is still in effect, and is filtering out all students (as no-one has submitted anything). This means that users could fix it themselves, if they go to another assignment that shows the filter and reset it, but only if they can work out what's happened.

Now I've managed to work out what's going on, I've actually found a Tracker bug report - looks like it's fixed in 2.3.5 and 2.4.2:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37039

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of SJ K

Thanks Rob. Your post has helped me understand the problem and also on how to resolve it.

Our company is using Moodle 2.3.2 and I dont see when they will upgrade to higher versions, but your simple fix will definitely help us.