Link to an imsmanifest.xml within moodledata

Link to an imsmanifest.xml within moodledata

by Alex 09 -
Number of replies: 11

Hello

It is possible to link to an imsmanifest.xml file that is stored in a repository wthin moodledata?

Selecting the zip file isn't working for me, but if I link to the imsmanifest.xml (in the extracted folder) that is hosted on my domain they work fine. However, the files really need to be in moodledata so that they are not available to all.

Many thanks
Alex

Edit - We're using Moodle 2.4

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex 09

Re: Link to an imsmanifest.xml within moodledata

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Alex,

I'm wondering what is the problem you're having with selecting the zip? There are a few things that can go wrong at that stage and it might be easier to troubleshoot that and get you going with a more standard workflow.

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Alex 09 -

Hi Amy

Thanks for your response. The problem that I am having is that the VLE packs often hang on the loading screen when using Internet Explorer.

I experienced this when using Moodle 1.9 so was advised to extract the zip files and link to the imsmanifest.xml directly - this worked perfectly, so I would like to be able to do this with Moodle 2.4.

There are also some other oddities in that they don't always hang. Also, if they are hanging and you view a different tab within your browser, they will then load when you aren't watching them - sounds crazy I know.

Many thanks
Alex

In reply to Alex 09

by ann seidel -

Hi Alex,

did you have success with your idea to link directly to the imsmanifest.xml?

In the past I had the same workaround with SCORM-data but I have no idea if it still works in Moodle 2.X

Regards Ann

In reply to ann seidel

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is not supported using a repository in Moodle 2 at the moment - you can use the external package type mentioned in my post here:
http://danmarsden.com/blog/2012/11/01/managing-scorm-content-in-moodle-2/

I'm also working on adding functionality to Moodle 2.6 that would allow you to link to an imsmanifest.xml file that sits within a Moodle repository - I have some hacky code working against a file system repository in MDL-41580 with some more detail.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by José Miguel Andonegi -
Hi Dan We are improving exelearning and AICC HACP would be a good improvement. Anyway, we have limited development capacity and CMI-5 is on the way. Moodle is the main LMS for eXe users. What would you recommend? Developing a AICC export or focusing in CMI-5. Thanks!
In reply to José Miguel Andonegi

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

hard to know - I don't see a lot of AICC packages around compared with the number of SCORM packages - I'd guess that focusing on a new standard would be more useful - people that are interested in creating AICC packages will already have an authoring tool they prefer to use for it.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Alex 09 -

Hi Dan

Has your patch found its way into stable releases of 2.5, or does it still need to be patched in to use?

Many thanks
Alex

In reply to Alex 09

by Dan Marsden -

Hi Alex, 

only bug fixes can land in stable releases - this feature is only available in Moodle 2.6 and above unless you add the patch manually yourself.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Alex 09 -

Fair enough, thanks for your response.