ILP block (add-on)

Picture of John White
Bugs, documentation, default reports & advice

Hi all at ULCC,

Firstly congratulations and thanks to all for the ILP Block - having started playing with it just today I can see what a colossal undertaking this has been and how powerful it is, especially in the notion of bringing together data from external MIS databases etc., and then providing tools for its interrogation.

I want to explore whether this block can fit our needs (I work for Ravensbourne down the road from you - though I work remotely). Initially we would not look to connect to an external db. We only want to invoke the Personal Progress Review at this stage, and consider other functionality later. But it is the Student who constructs the review in the sense that the 'answers' (the targets) the student enters this time become the 'questions' to be reviewed next time. Its this one specific feature that has led me to investigate the ILP Block because its just what other activities (e.g Questionnaire) don't do! Can you please advise me on whether this can be done in ILP?

Like others I have met some bugs with the block, and as the first one to hit - the missing theme layout - will affect everyone, I believe it does need to got into the documentation. But I have also now met this one:

Fatal error: Class 'ilp_report_rules' not found in (...)/blocks/ilp/plugins/tabs/ilp_dashboard_reports_tab.php on line 304

And I wondered if that has occured simply because I don't know what I'm doing when setting up a Report; again some examples of the purpose and workflow in setting up a report, and what you are trying to achieve at the student face would help hugely.

Similarly, I can't see how to pull in the default reports that exist in the predefined_reports folder so as to give me a head start.

Finally, let me just add that I'm not knocking this, I think that documentation is our most common weakness, but I would appreciate advice on whether what I'm trying to achieve is fundamentally impossible or not. 

Regards, John

Average of ratings: -
My picture
Re: Bugs, documentation, default reports & advice
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello John,

We are also using the ILP 2.0 block in our blended learning Msc at the Medical School of the University of Dundee.

Yes, the documentation requires some updating. Make sure that you have enabled the 'Report tab' option so that you can see the default reports. It drove me crazy the first time.

Likewise, when you create a new report, it appears as 'hidden' by default, so you will have to unhide it  in order to view the report in the ILP block.

I have installed the latest version in Github and I only encountered a minor pitfall regarding the MyTiny MCE editor, as you have to click on the 'Submit' botton twice if you use the editor and not plain html.

Picture of Richard Havinga

Hi John,

Documentation is coming smile

http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/ILP_block is the latest but I am trying to find time to update it at the moment.

Your needs for the progress review is possible depending on how you use it.

The predefined reports are no longer included as standard but the code is still sitting there, just in case we wanted to turn them back on. The community release at the moment is a couple versions behind our customer release where your problem has already been addressed. We hope to make another community release soon but I cannot give you any time frame on this unfortunately.

Richard

Picture of John White

Thanks Richard (and Aaricia also),

Just to confirm, Richard are you saying that once set up correctly, and with the right permissions matrix, students ought to be able to supply agreed targets in one review, and then report on their achievement of said targets in the next review? Can this be done in the current release or will I have to wait for a future update?

I can see that the default reports that Aaricia refers to were only actually available under the Reports Tab in an earlier version, as you indicated Richard.

I'm meeting more bugs unfortunately, when I click on Reports Tab Settings in the admin configuration I hit...

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'ilp_dashboard_reports_tab_default_tab' or component 'block_ilp'. Perhaps you are missing $string['ilp_dashboard_reports_tab_default_tab'] = ''; in (...)/blocks/ilp/lang/en/block_ilp.php?

...so I can see that for some reason its not calling the local 'language_strings' function. This appears on several tab setups.

Still missing strings are not as dire as the fatal error  Class 'ilp_report_rules' not found I reported above, so does that one occur simply because I don't know what I'm doing when I try to set up a Report? Ignorance is not blissful. I keenly look forward to the new documentation.

Regards, John

Hi john,

Ah I see what your trying to do now. Unfortunately it doesn't work like this directly where you can import one target into an achievement report. What you would do say with progress reviews is that you would have one Report called Progress Reviews which could have many entries and this can be used to monitor progress against previously agreed outcomes. An example form could be:

Course (Enrolment Selector)
Progress against previously agreed outcomes (Text Area)
What have you achieved (Text Area)
What do you want to do next (Text Area)
Next review Date (Date)
State (In progress, Not achieved and achieved)

Entries can then be added by the student agreed with the teacher to keep them on track with their own individual learning plan. It doesn't pull in info from another report but you can use the new entry to talk about their progress on a target if that makes sense?

Richard

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of John White

That's a big help Richard, thanks for the clarity.

So, in say October, the student files a Progress Review in discussion with his/her tutor. Both of them can look at that Review before (while?) writing the next review in December, basing their comments for Progress against previously agreed outcomes on October's What do you want to do next section. But they can't actually receive the targets set in October as the bullet points to answer in December. If I now have this right, it is very much as I would expect. There is always a fundamental data issue over getting 'answers' to become 'questions'.

Regards, John

Hi john,

Yes you are correct smile

Richard