General help

Picture of Martin Woolley
Allow "topic 1", "topic 2" etc. to be changed to custom text

This tracker https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-20628 says that "topic 1", "topic 2", etc can be changed to the custom text, and it says that this was resolved.  We have a brand new installation of 2.2.6+ (Build: 20121208), but the code described in the fix is missing from ~/course/editsection.php, ~/course/editsection_form.php, ~/course/lib.php and ~/lib/navigationlib.php, which I think is a bit odd.

Q1.  Is there somewhere that I can download these 4 php's with the code in?

Q2 If not, is it safe to apply the patch above to our code and if so, how do I use the patch file on a Windows install? 

Thanks in advance

Martin

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Allow "topic 1", "topic 2" etc. to be changed to custom text
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Just to clarify - are you saying that if you are in a course with topics you cannot actually change the topic names to something else? That has been available for a long time and I don't understand why you are saying you are missing it in a brand new 2.2.6 -rather than looking at how to replace the files perhaps we should be investigating whether your Moodle (or this Moodle version) has an issue. 

Picture of Martin Woolley

Thanks for the very switft reply Mary.  I cannot change the topic names in the navigation panel from "topic 1", "topic 2", etc to something else, or if I can, I can't see how to do it.  There is no obvious method of changing these when editing is switched on.  I can, of course, cnange the topic names within the course itself, but that doesn't change the words in the side navigation bar.  I hope that is clear.  I have attached an image which hopefully indicates what we mean.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

How are you writing these titles? If you type them in the actual text editor, they won't change but if you untick the "use default section name" and then type into the section name box, they should change. Is that what you are doing?

Brian
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi - not sure why are you using 2.2x when 2.41 is available, but if you are starting out fresh then I would recommend upgrading or a quick restart.

Re changing the names of topics, assuming your course is in Topics format, then you need to turn editing on, and you can then edit each section and as Mary says untick the default and enter whatever topic name you want.

Remember, 2.5 is just around the corner now, so if you are starting a new site, go with 2.41 which does have a lot of other bug fixes and features as well - it will dramatically simplify upgrades later when you need a specific feature (such as activity completion).