Is CAS server (SSO) appropriate for my situation? (already checked documentation)

Is CAS server (SSO) appropriate for my situation? (already checked documentation)

by Julie Grundy -
Number of replies: 3

Hello again! I'm still working on a single-sign-on for my domain using the data I already have in Moodle. Previous thread.

Moodle: users manually authenticated with a forced password change on first login.
Wordpress: a private community for our clients, blocked from the general public. Currently uses Moodle as an external database for authentication (via a plugin) so only one user/pass combo required.

We'd like our users to be able to log in to either then go to the other without repeating the login process. Also as we expand our client-only services we may need to add other protected applications.

CAS seems to be similar to what I want, but...

a) does it handle all the login tasks that Moodle does for me now? Password changes, new users, etc? If not, would Moodle still do them?

b) where does it get the login data from? Will I need to import it to CAS, or can it look at what's in Moodle already?

The documentation is sparse and has broken links. The Jasig documentation is more about implementation details rather than pre-installation questions.

Let me know if you need more info about our setup...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julie Grundy

Does CAS require an external data source?

by Julie Grundy -

Ok, further research has helped me refine my question further.

Does CAS require an external data source, or can Moodle be that data source? Most people seem to be using it with LDAP and an existing set of users, but I don't have LDAP set up and my only user set is in Moodle.

I wish I could edit the title of the thread to be more specific now!

In reply to Julie Grundy

Re: Does CAS require an external data source?

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Does CAS require an external data source, or can Moodle be that data source?

Since MDL-19168 was fixed (two years ago or so), CAS doesn't require LDAP as an external source at all. Moodle can be that source.

Saludos. Iñaki.