General developer forum

Picture of Rodney Wolford
Why No Player Plug-in for Director Shockwave?

Appears to me that Moodle offers a Flash Shockwave player, but not a Director Shockwave player. This seems like an oversight since both are now Adobe products and Director Shockwave is far more versatile than Flash. So far, I have been able to incorporate Director Shockwave files, but making sure that users have it downloaded is a real pain. It would be sooo much simpiler if Moodle had the Director Shockwave player as part of its media plug in package. Just a thought from a Newbie.

Average of ratings: -
Brian
Re: Why No Player Plug-in for Director Shockwave?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Any shockwave as .swf is supported as a file resource / activity as far as I know.  Or does director shockwave not support that?  

Some Adobe products also output scorm format by the way...

Picture of Rodney Wolford
Re: Why No Player Plug-in for Director Shockwave?

Actually, Director Shockwave produces a .dcr file, not an .swf file. They are two different animals, though both originally developed by Macromedia then purchased by Adobe.

Yes, I am familiar with scorm output for Flash products, including Adobe's Captivate. And I know course builder in Dreamweaver can output scorm. But, this does not take care of the .dcr files. For example, for security reasons, .dcr files are only supposed to be run from a folder named dswmedia. Even the CAB files are different from .swf.

Thus far I have been restricted at least twice from using Director Shockwave in Moodle. In one instance, it was with the Display Tabs plugin. However, at my request, they fixed it and now it works. Just FYI, here is a link to a Director Shockwave so you can see how much more flexible it is than Shockwave Flash.

http://www.fofcom.com/dswmedia/BigInch6.htm You will probably be prompted to download a player, if you decide to check out the link.

What I would hope for would be a player plug-in AND a repository defined specifically for Director Shockwave.

Rod Wolford