Logging API (option to move logs out of database)

Re: Logging API (option to move logs out of database)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is the developing spec to look at and make suggestions on:  http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Logging_2

Most (all?) of the "realtime" needs that we currently use logging for can in fact be moved in new tables for that purpose, making them very fast.  That should free up the long-term logs to be huge and slow if they want to be.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Logging API (option to move logs out of database)

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Martin! I looked but hadn't found that page, must have been using the wrong search keywords.

I think my proposed system fits OK with the 'Logging 2' thing - i.e. it's an incremental step in that direction that can be implemented without hurting anything. Basically my proposal is the 'MUC-like plugins to interface between our logging calls and log backends' part of that page. It also fits in with the default (database logging) given on that page.

--sam