Courses and course formats

Beta Test volunteers requested for new Moodle 2.4 Courseflow course format (and Bluenarius theme)

Brian
Beta Test volunteers requested for new Moodle 2.4 Courseflow course format (and Bluenarius theme)

I was given a challenge - set up a Moodle LMS where the student is immediately immersed in the course content, section by section, without the usual URLs and long scrolls in between.

So I created a course format where the student is taken directly to the activity rather than section heading by section heading, and also created a blue version of the binarius theme with a custom menu.  

With this combination, the navbar and navigation box can be hidden and the result is a fairly clean Moodle but where file, book, video and flash content can be shared without being forced to stick the material in a label (where it's not possible to track completion).

Beta testers and feedback much appreciated - please do NOT use this in a production environment.

Instructions:  copy courseflow to course/format/ and copy bluenarious to theme/ and install using notifications as usual.

Convert (or create a new course) to courseflow format and set each section to appear on a separate page.

Section 0 of a course is not used, apart from (like in Topics format) it appears above other sections if there are multiple activities or a label.

Sections 1 is your introduction to the course

Sections 2-n are your course activities in sequential order, so add one activity or resource per section.

Ancillary activities (forums, completion, etc) should be organized using blocks

If you install the bluenarius theme, add an item to the appearance/theme/settings custom menu area e.g. "Home|http://www.myhomeurl.com|Go to the home page" to make sure custom menus are turned on.

Hide your navagation block - you shouldn't need it, as you have a list of All courses, the courses you are enrolled in, plus forward and backward navigation through the course.

Feedback much appreciated - bugs, better ways of structuring and presenting the course, additional options to add, etc.

I will spend the rest of the week before Dublin Moodlemoot trying to learn how to use git smile

Many thanks to Moodle team, especially Marina Glancy for her development work and code examples for Moodle 2.4 (any mistakes however are purely mine!)

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Brian
Re: Beta Test volunteers requested for new Moodle 2.4 Courseflow course format (and Bluenarius theme)

ps you can find the Bluenarius theme at: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=221920

Average of ratings: -
Frankie's the name, Moodle's my game!
Re: Beta Test volunteers requested for new Moodle 2.4 Courseflow course format (and Bluenarius theme)
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi Brian. I'm game for testing your new theme.

Gareth J Barnard
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi Brian,

I'll test too smile - saw this post the other day - on my 'to do' list.

Cheers,

Gareth

Brian

Thanks guys - the code does have some bugs I have already found (so the course content header navigation works great on some sites, but disappears on others).  Plus moving sections appears a bit ropey.

But it's a start smile

Gareth J Barnard

Dear Brian,

As promised I have had a look at the course format.  I've fixed two bugs and made a couple of observations.  Please see attached changed version with encapsulated 'Notes.txt'.

Cheers,

Gareth

Brian

Hi Gareth

Many many thanks!

You, along with Marina, are the course format wizards, so very much appreciated!!

I know courseflow won't be for everyone, but for teachers that want a structured format with activities and resources to the fore, then I believe it's a good start.

I need to figure out how to let the user set some config options (like whether to call a Chapter a Section or whatever.

Many thanks for both bug fix and comments.

Brian

Gareth J Barnard

Dear Brian,

No problem smile - all I ask is credit for helping as I do in my Readme files smile

The best two places to learn about config options is:

1. Marina Glancy's excellent documentation on - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Course_formats
  2. My latest CT for 2.4 has almost all the bell's and whistles implemented in terms of settings and configuration via the UI - https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=2149.  The key place is the function 'course_format_options' in 'lib.php'.  Don't worry about 'create_edit_form_elements()' and 'update_course_format_options()' as the base classes version should suffice - I do because I want form elements that are not placed in the database as settings.  To get the settings in 'renderer.php' use '$mysettings = $this->course_get_format($course)->get_settings()' which returns all of the settings established in 'lib.php' as an array with the $courseformatoptions array key as the key in this array, i.e. "'numsections' => array(" -> "$mysettings['numsections']".

Cheers,

Gareth