General help

Picture of Gary Lebowitz
Moodle 2.3.2 Problem with blue links I don't want in an intro text to quiz

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to eliminate blue links within the instructions to a quiz that I didn't put there!!! I have even re-written the instructions, but every time I do the words Discussion Forum appear in blue and this is a link, which when clicked on sends the user to some out of the way part of the Moodle site. I have tried unlinking and even re-writing from scratch. This is not a problem of ads and that sort of malware-produced problem. It's something else. Has anyone else ever had this unwanted linking problem who knows how to fix it? By the way, if I look at the HTML code I see absolutely nothing that would suggest there would be a link here. And the things that become blue are very specific groups of words such as Discussion Forum and other headings of the course. Very odd.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Moodle 2.3.2 Problem with blue links I don't want in an intro text to quiz
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Try looking at #4 in the Quiz FAQ here. It could be that your quiz is automatically linking to resources or activities on your Moodle and you just need to disable that.

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Hi Mary, I am using 2.3.2 and the way I get to the filter is a little different. Anyway I went in and checked if the filter in question was enabled or disabled. It was disabled. To the right of the line I saw a delete button and I pressed it, since I thought that would fix things. After a while I got a page showing me all filters in the plugins area and asking me to reload. I tried this; nothing happened and when I go in as a user I continue to see the blue highlighting sending me to places I don't want to go. I also saw a request to upgrade to a newer version of Moodle, which is not a very good idea in my view right in the middle of a course. I am not quite sure what to do now. Any other tips/ideas about this issue? By the way, I was also told after doing this that I should now delete the folder containing this feature.  Here is a picture of what I see when I go in as admin now. A bit daunting, since I have a live course going. But it is the weekend so now's the time to fix things. Fast.

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Dear Mary, You can call off the Coast Guard search. I was simply in the wrong place; I have now found what you were referring to and did what it said in the FAQ you referred me to and this did indeed fix the problem. Of course now, like an idiot, I have removed the glossary possibility from the site. sad But I suppose it's possible to put it back in. But not quite yet; I'll wait till my course is over. Any tips about how to put it back if I do. Also, could you tell me if many things can go wrong between version 2.3.2 and something more recent (but stable!). Thanks again. Regards, Gary

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Problem resolved thanks to the pointer in Mary's reply. I was in the wrong place. sad

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Ah good to hear! As for removing the glossary filter I guess you can get it by downloading your version of Moodle again to your desktop, finding it and reuploading it into your Moodle directory. If you don't know how to do that then start a new thread and you should get some more helpsmile

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

HI Mary, again many thanks. No problem about the glossary feature; I probably will not use it. And in the end I had to also turn off the autolinking feature not only to quizzes but to the intros to discussion forums, too. but i now see the Filter link for each course, so I can globally turn off. what's odd, as rick jerz pointed out, is that on my 2.3.2 platform the autolinking feature had defaulted to On. Anyway, all is well. But I do have another question, which I suppose I should ask in another context, but I need a quick answer so I'll answer here. My teacher colleague said that when she edited a disussion forum the other day, all susbscribed students got an alert of a new posting. that seems a bit odd. do you know how safe it is for me to go into the message outputs area, i think it's called, and turn the eye for email delivery off just before my colleague makes changes and then turn it on again so that other users' posts cause an alert but her edit doesn't. Or is there a safer/more elegant way to do this? I don't remember having this problem before, and a few fellow Moodle users thought that when he edited he didn't have alerts going out, but they weren't sure. Any help with this one, too, would be appreciated. Regards, Gary

Picture of Gary Lebowitz

Hi again,

Could you please remove the Feb. 10 at 4:29 posting I just did. I had misinterpreted what my colleague said. She did not say that edits caused a new alert to be sent out. She was talking about adding a discussion topic. And I think we can assume that as long as the eye is closed on the discussion forum activity no alert will be sent out to students about a new discussion topic until the eye is open. Please remove that other posting, though, so I look a bit less dumb. Thanks in advance, Gary