Quiz

Picture of Kathleen Burns
Using Backup and Restore Create Muliple copies of same questions

(1)  Is it okay to import all questions into the TOP category for question bank?

(2)  Does using the Move feature Move them, or simply COPY them to a sub-category?

(3)  Is it meaningful that the questions appear indented in the Course Category list (attached image).

History:  Our moodle (with Moodlerooms) was upgraded from 2.0 --> 2.2 --> 2.3.3.  We use the same course over and over for different clients, so the same template course is backed up and restored repeatedly.  I have noticed a few things:  this causes the questions in the question bank to multiply so we have dozens of duplicates that cannot be deleted; and the list of questions from the original course-level question bank has been moved into the course category context, and they appear oddly indented in the question bank list (see image).  As I prepare to import several dozen more questions, I would like to make sure I am placing them in the system correctly.

Thank you for your guidance on best practices. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ray Morris
Re: Using Backup and Restore Create Muliple copies of same questions
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

(1)  Is it okay to import all questions into the TOP category for question bank?

That seems messy, but it should "work".  I'd create subcategories under the top category.   The right category structure can avoid the duplication on backup / restore.  More on that below.

> (2)  Does using the Move feature Move them, or simply COPY them to a sub-category?

I'm fairly sure that "move" moves them.  If you wanted to double check, you could create a question, move it, then see if you see two copies.

> the same template course is backed up and restored
> repeatedly
.  I have noticed a few things:  this causes the questions
> in the question bank to multiply so we have dozens of duplicates that cannot be deleted;

That's a known issue which is being slowly worked on. It's a hard problem, though, because the flexibility of Quiz makes it hard to know when duplicates will occur and when they won't.  You can avoid creating duplicates by using a certain procedure, though.

As you were perhaps thinking, you can move your questions to categories outside of your course and I think that will avoid the duplication.  That is also logically correct - you are using the same questions for "different" courses, so the questions should not be in the course pool.  (At least not for the way you're defining a "course".)

Then have the quiz use the bank outside of your course.  You _may_ have to set it to use a number of random questions from the proper bank, rather than selecting specific questions.  Note that doesn't mean you would dump all of the questions into the top level category.  Instead, you would create a new category named for your course and add questions to that.   That is, you'd create a category to use that's not WITHIN your course, but is NAMED such that huamsn can tell it's for your course.

I may be wrong that this would avoid backing up and duplicating the questions, so try it with a few and let us know if it works okay.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Thank you for the detailed response.  I will give it a try.

Picture of Ray Morris

Please let us know what you find out.

I tested this on our dev site and it works!!!  I can't thank you enough.  Our question pool was getting very murky, and this seems to be the solution.  I now have to recreate in the Prod site, but I am so very grateful for your instructions.

1. I created site-level question bank with several question categories for the questions. 

2. Then I created a few sample quizzes in a course.

3. I backed up that course and restored to new course.

4.  I backedup up the restored course and restored again across multiple course categories. 

And all looks perfect.  The important lessons for me:  site level questions, and question categories vs. course categories.  With the new configuration, all questions stay in that one location even when the a course is restored within categories across the site.  So far, all my questions exist only once, and are no longer multiplying and causing confusion.  Again, my deepest thanks.

Picture of Ray Morris

Thanks for letting us know it worked.  I may need to have our people start doing the same.  I thought it would work, but it's good to get confirmation.