Automating Quiz creation

Automating Quiz creation

by Vincy Tom -
Number of replies: 8

Is there a way of automating creation of a quiz from a question bank??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vincy Tom

Re: Automating Quiz creation

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What do you mean?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vincy Tom -

Sorry if am not clear, am very new to moodle.

my question was is there a way to automate quiz creation if i have a large question bank database, or the only way is to manually create the quiz one at a time? i hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.

In reply to Vincy Tom

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you read http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Building_Quiz? There are lots of ways to efficiently add questions from the question bank to a quiz. If none of those do what you want, then you will have to explain more about what you do want.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vincy Tom -

Hi Tim.

what am looking to achieve is the abilty to add say 10 question to a quiz from a particular category, from the question bank in one go, that is if i have 200 questions of category xyz and i want to create several quizes of 10 random qustions each from them what are the steps?

I have tried to read a lot of quiz documention but so far i havent come across anything to answer me.

thanks for your patience and understanding.

In reply to Vincy Tom

by Paula Clough -

The closest I can think of is to make one quiz exactly the way you want it then use the duplication feature on the front page to duplicate the quiz.  You will have to change the name on the new quizzes to avoid confusion, but that's not too hard.  Because they all need to pull 10 question randomly out of the same 200, I think that would work. 

I haven't seen any thing that will set up the quizzes automatically.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This requirement has come up several times in the last few years. One version of this is what I think of as revision mode. So a user would select the categories from which they want random questions pulled, and the count of questions overall. 

For example you might want a quick practice quiz of ten questions taken from three categories. Then the results would show both the overall grade and the grade you got in each category.

I actually developed this functionality in a (non Moodle) quiz system 10 years ago for revision for a technical exam and people PAID me USD$7 for a three month subscription to use it. Sadly it was not code to be proud of and was developed using the JFDI methodology rather than using more formal methods.