Wiki

Picture of Karl Horrocks
Students can't edit Wiki

Hope someone can help. I've set up my Wiki as administrator, but when i try to test if it works by entering as a student, in the edit tab I get the message "You can not edit this page". I've checked my Wiki settings over and over and can't figure what's going wrong. Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Students can't edit Wiki
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Could you say (or do a screenshot) of what your wiki settings are?

Picture of Karl Horrocks

Since my last post I've managed to resolve the problem of students not being able to edit. It was simply a question of changing the settings from visible to separate groups. Thanks anyway.

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Mary, may I please impose on this conversation? We wish to lock the table of contents in a Wiki. I see directions for doing this in Moodle 1.9, but I cannot find the flags to set the page for read only in Moodle 2.3.  I also could not find a reference in the 2+ Wiki Moodle.org guides to address this setting.  The faculty member wishes to create the table of contents but not allow the students to edit the table of contents - only edit the content pages. Can you help? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Russell Waldron

Mary, 

The fail

"Role permissions for the activity can be changed in Settings > Wiki administration > Permission" (Moodle Docs)

However, I don't think we can apply permissions to a single page in a Wiki.

This seems like a good policy:

• User expectations - protected pages are not a standard Wiki feature
  • Need - it is so easy to revert a page that protecting it is less important
  • Social constructivism - Is locking the front page consistent with the mutuality underlying this activity?

That said, I know other teachers who would like to be able to lock part of a wiki, so I'm keen to hear from anyone who found a way.

The workaround

Put the table of contents in the Description field of the Wiki, which appears at the top of the Wiki screen. Only instructors can edit that feature of the activity, but everyone can see it.  

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Russell - thank you for the excellent information.  We wish to set the Table of Contents to Read Only because we found that if a student edited the name of the page - a new page was created and the contents lost into another page with the old name.  It was confusing the students and the faculty member.

Are the flags that were in the WIKI for 1.9 not available in this new Wiki? 

List Wiki Flags

Thank you for your help.  Nancy K.

Picture of Nigel Metcalfe

Hi,

we use the OU wiki module and that has the facility for a teacher to lock a single page to prevent students altering it.

Regards,

Nigel

Average of ratings:Useful (1)