Moodle Web Service functions : Can I do this?

Moodle Web Service functions : Can I do this?

by Batiste Roger -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,
I am a young developper and I currently work on a project that involves a LMS and an external system. I would like to have them work independently (other languages, other servers...) but the system I will be coding will need to extract data from the LMS about the user's scores / participation to the courses.

I was wondering if it is possible to extract these details thanks to a web service (I would like to avoid taking the data directly in the DB, it would be awful). Are there functions that I can use to export the user's results?

Thank you in advance for your help. Don't hesitate to answer with links / documents that I can read, I am lost in all the versions / documentation!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Batiste Roger

Re: Moodle Web Service functions : Can I do this?

by Hubert Chathi -

Yes, it is possible, but as far as I can tell, there isn't an existing function for getting grades, which means that you need to add a new one.  You can view the list of existing functions (at least, that's as good of a list as I could find), and instructions on how to add new web service functions to a plugin.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Batiste Roger -

Ok, thank you!
Are there other Open-LMS that I should consider using for my project if it turns out that developing a plug-in is too expensive / time consuming?

by Bob Puffer -

grade_tree() will supply you with a heirarchical list of grade objects for the given courseid.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Batiste Roger -

That is a good new!

What version of moodle should I use (that provide this function)? Where can I find documentation about it?

Thanks!

by Bob Puffer -

The function should be in all versions of Moodle.  Best documentation is to read the code -- I don't know of any other.

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The web services documentation (Site Admin, Plugins/Web Services/Api Documentation shows a mod_assign_get_grades function which claims to get grades given assignment ids (which are accessible through other web service functions).