General add-ons

Picture of Paul Dawson
Turnitin Moodle Direct version 2

Currently Turnitin can be integrated into Moodle using a number of solutions. Here at Turnitin we have been busy with a number of projects which will allow us to hopefully make the choices a little easier and will allow us to give more accurate support and provision on the full suite of Turnitin features.

The are currently three options for people wanting to integrate Turnitin into Moodle:

1. Moodle Basic - A framed in 'shallow' integration that allows users to be single signed into Turnitin from a standard (2.2) Moodle Assignment type.

2. Moodle Direct - A custom contributed activity module that gives users a workflow / UI that is seperate from the standard Moodle activities. Moodle Direct hooks into various Moodle features such as the GradeBook, groups and groupings, user enrollments / permissions, calendar and my Moodle screens. The concept behind Moodle Direct is to provide the Turnitin experience from within the Moodle environment.

3. Moodle Plagiarism Plugin - A plagiarism plug in supported as a plug in from Moodle 2+ and as a patch in Moodle 1.9. The plug in tightly incorporates plagiarism functionality from Turnitin into a number of standard Moodle activities, most notably the assignment activity. This allows users to stay in the Moodle standard workflow and send author's work to the plagiarism detection service via the API using background scheduled tasks.

There are a number of advantages / disadvantages when using any of the three solutions. In order to address the disadvantages we are attempting to combine the offerings into a bundle solution that will allow you to choose from option 2 and 3 above in one contributed offering.

The distinct advantage of the Moodle Basic offering is in the fact that it supports the full suite of tools available through Turnitin. This is acheived by 'single signing' users into the actual Turnitin product. Up to now it has not been possible to provide some of those features through the API and this has meant Basic has had some distinct advantages. Specifically things that couldn't be offered other than through Moodle Basic are PeerMark and Rubric / Quickmark Management screens. Rubric / Quickmark management can be acheived through the Turnitin document viewer but it is often advantageous to set up rubrics and quickmarks ahead of submission time, so while it is currently possible to do this through the plug in / Moodle Direct it is not always ideal.

To enable us to provide the full suite of tools through Moodle Direct and the plagiarism plug in we have built a new set of API tools / SDKs. Using that new suite of tools it is our intention to provide a new offering that bundles the plug in and Direct and offers the missing features up to now available only through Basic. The APIs / SDKs are nearing completion and the work on the new Moodle Direct v2 is underway. We are aiming to have a beta program for a selected number of customers available from around the end of April to test the Moodle Direct v2 bundle and currently have a production release date scheduled in for late summer 2013.

We have a very long term end of life plan for the legacy API which we hope over time we can completely replace with our new API offerings, we don't have any dates planned currently as for when this end of life will be and we want to slowly migrate our various integrations over to the new APIs over time. The end of life for the legacy API and integrations that rely on it will be based on customer / integration demand and we will communicate any date we land on ahead of time in the hopes that it will allow our customers time to migrate should they need to. Moodle Basic depends on the legacy API and Moodle 2.2 assignment types, it is also our intention to deprecate that integration over time, again the timing for the deprecation of that integration will be heavily influenced by customer feedback and we will communicate any dates we arrive at well ahead of time in the hopes that customers will be able to plan their migration away.

In order to assist in the migration away from Moodle Basic we are building in some migration features in Moodle Direct that will allow users of Moodle Basic to migrate the assignments they have currently over to Moodle Direct. Along with this feature the following features are also planned for Moodle Direct version 2:

1. PeerMark support in Moodle Direct activities
2. GradeMark support in Moodle Plagiarism plug in
3. Rubric Management in Moodle Direct activities
4. Migration feature to allow users to 'pull down' assignments directly from Turnitin
5. Bulk Download support in Moodle Direct to allow bulk download of GradeMark papers, PDFs and original file Zip files
6. User Message Support in Moodle Direct to support Bulk Download notifications

If you would like to be considered for the beta program for the new integration bundle please PM me via the forum and I will gather the relevant data from you. There will be a limited availability on the beta program and we can not promise every applicant to be considered but any Turnitin administrator / customer is welcome to apply.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Turnitin Moodle Direct version 2
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Paul

My main query is whether the new bundle will integrate with the new Assign type from Moodle2.3+ or whether it will still depend on 2.2 Assignment (which I understand is due to be deprecated from moodle at some point), or is this a completely separate stand-alone activity - in which case does it allow features such as blind marking, offline marking and bulk reloading of graded files etc as are available in the assign module?

If it will, then I would very much like to be involved in the testing and I can forward you any further details you would need in a PM.

Richard

Average of ratings: -
Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Paul, this is great.  Thanks.

This information (or most of it) should be on your website.  I got an ambigious reply when I asked your contacts address about this.  

I hope the coding goes smoothly.

-Derek

Picture of Ian McNaught

Hi Paul I've been directed here by James Thorley who said we might be interested. We'd be very interested in trying out the integration, we have 1500 students who all use TII for the whole assignment cycle (submission, plagiarism checking, feedback etc...). Can it be used alongside the basic integration for testing purposes? Please keep me informed about the beta program. ian.mcnaught@majancollege.edu.om

Picture of Doug Loomer

Hi Paul,

At the Shanghai American School we currently run a Moodle Direct integration on our Moodle 1.9 server.  We are in the process of exploring an upgrade path to Moodle 2.4 that meets our needs.  Will the new Direct2 be available for Moodle 2.4?  If so, I would be interested in talking with you further about beining involved in your upcoming test.

All the best,

Doug

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

Hi Paul.

Still got room for Beta testing?

Regards,

Hittesh Ahuja

Software Developer

University of Bath

Picture of Emma Duke-Williams

That sounds wonderful! I've been moaning about the loss of features when we moved from a WebCT Vista install, which had the 'direct' type integration to a Moodle one with the basic tye. 

One thing I used to use a fair bit was the ability for a member of staff to upload a file, not attached to any particular student - whether for demonstration purposes (or, if you'd had anonymous files submitted not via TII integration for some reason) - or whatever. 

Hopefully, if you're picking up a lot of the features that are in the main TII interface, you'll have that too. 

Picture of Emma Duke-Williams

Oh, and Master Classes, though, to be honest, I never did quite get my head round them, but the concept was always there - to allow multiple markers to mark large groups. 

Picture of Teresa Gibbison
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Paul

It has been some months since this post and I wondered if there was any progress on the Moodle Direct v2 plugin?  

I do not seem to be able to find any information for a Moodle 2.5 integration.

Many thanks in anticipation
Teresa

Picture of Ian McNaught

It would be great to have an update on this new integration. It's getting to the time of year we're deciding what upgrade and maintenance work we do over the summer and I would love it if there was finally a decent TII integration to switch to! smile

Picture of Peter Roberts
Group Testers

Hi Paul (or anyone who may have done this)

Am I right in thinking that if we upgrade to Moodle 2.4 or 2.5, we can still use the old Moodle basic integration as it will be there in the legacy 2.2 assignment types? We'd like to stick with it for another year until we can try out your various new offerings.

Kind regards

Pete Roberts
Goldsmiths, University of London

Picture of Paul Dawson

Hi Pete,

You are correct, Moodle Basic will continue to work with legacy 2.2 assignment types. You can, if you haven't already enable this in 2.4 and 2.5. We are continuing support for the Basic activity type until summer 2014 at the least, we are not planning to add any functional / feature changes to that version however.

You can configure and use both Moodle Direct and Moodle Basic at the same time. Moodle Direct v2 is a direct upgrade from Moodle Direct v1 so you couldn't use both v1 and v2 in parallel, but given your message I think your plan to continue to use Basic for the next year will be fine. You could use that time to evaluate Moodle Direct v2.

Cheers
Paul

Picture of Peter Roberts
Group Testers

Hi Paul

Firstly, somewhat belated thanks for the info on Turnitin Basic. Very useful.

Is there any news on the V2 Direct plugin? I recall somewhere seeing it was expected in the 3rd quarter of this year. The lack of rubric in the existing Direct plugin is a bit of a showstopper for us. 

Pete Roberts
Goldsmiths

Garry Edmonds

Hi Paul,

Looking at the roadmap I assume the plugin is due to be released soon. Any update on when that may be?

Garry

Picture of Pavel Sokolov

I got an information from Dan Marsden that Turnitin will be releasing a new plugin very soon (within a few weeks), and that it should be more reliable and flexible since it contains both the features of their Moodle Direct plugin and Dan's plagiarism plugin.

I am also curious to get it released.

Garry Edmonds

Thanks Pavel. I have been watching this daily as our institution has begun to use GradeMark and there is now interest in PeerMark. I understand the new plugin will support both of these.

Picture of Andrew Chambers

Hi, Do we have an update on when this is coming?

Thanks!

Picture of John McGettrick

Hi Andrew/Garry/Pavel,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Version 2 has now been released and should be available in your Turnitin dashboard. It isn't in the Moodle plugins directory yet but that should be rectified soon. In the meantime it is also on github at: https://github.com/jmcgettrick/MoodleDirectV2

As Pavel said, it contains a refactored Turnitin Assignment and a Plagiarism Plugin to replace Dan Marsden's. To answer a couple of the above queries directly there is now support for Peermark, access to both the Turnitin Rubric Manager and Quickmark Manager, and the ability to attach a Rubric to an assignment.

John

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

Hi John,

Although the documentation says that turnitintwo module needs to be installed ,I believe it does not need be visible to users if we are only interesting in using the plagiarism tool located at /plagiariasm/turnitin  ?

We might consider using the new turnitin API only if behaves the same way as Dan Marsden's version .

Many thanks

Hittesh

Hi Hittesh,

You don't need to use the turnitintooltwo module but it will have to be installed as it shares code, a dependency on it is being added to the Plagiarism plugin with our next release.

The plugin replicates the functionality from Dan Marsden's version with the addition of GradeMark and PeerMark.

Regards

John

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

thanks john smile

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

Hi John,

Two quick questions :

1. Are we supported by turnitin if any of the three plugins break down i.e Can we raise tickets for Turnitin to deal with for these ?

2. I have intermittent connection issue on the settings page saying "Could not connect to Turnitin. Double check your API URL setting." and the log output says "

2014-01-20 10:04:46 +0000 (API_ERROR) - There was an error connecting to Turnitin the return error message is below:<br /><br/><br/>File: /opt/moodle/tags/moodle-2.5.0-022/mod/turnitintooltwo/sdk/soap.class.php | Line: 223 | Message: SOAP-ERROR: Parsing WSDL: Couldn't load from 'http://www.turnitin.com/static/resources/files/lis-coursesection.wsdl' : failed to load external entity "http://www.turnitin.com/static/resources/files/lis-coursesection.wsdl"
 | Code: 0

"

I have the openssl mod installed on my server. Using PHP 5.3.3 linux debian. I can load the file using the browser, curl and wget just fine.

I have also disabled WSDL cache on my server to prevent any WSDL caching. 

Many thanks, 

Hittesh

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

Hi John,

Another question on the plagiarism tool - Will the tool pick up from where Dan's plugin left off.

For example, If  a submission point is succesfully submitted to turnitin and is awaiting similarity score for that assignment, it sets a 'pending' status in the plagiarism_files table. After that point, if we switch to the moodledirectv2 plugin, will it process those files and fetch the similarity score for that assignment.

From what I see in your code , when running the cron() function under plagiarism / turnitin/ lib.php ,

it only looks at entries with the status 'success' ie. 

$submissions = $DB->get_records('plagiarism_turnitin_files', array('statuscode' => 'success', 'similarityscore' => null),
'', 'externalid, cm');

Also, when you first add a submission to an assignment that is turnitin enabled, the new plugin adds a statuscode of 'success' and sets the similarity score to NULL which is then picked up by the code above.

I'm just trying to work out how can this fallback to Dan's code that sets the statuscode of a new file to 'pending'

Many thanks

Hittesh

Hi Hitesh,

The cron function is only for getting scores and grades so will only look for successfully submitted files. There would still be an event for a pending submission so that would be submitted when events are processed. That also happens when the cron runs just not in that function.

You can raise points regarding all 3 with Turnitin if you have any issues.

Hope that helps.

John

Picture of Alex Hosmer

Hi Hittesh, I've been having this exact issue since installing Moodle Direct version 2.

I'm using a Mac Webserver os 10.7.

I'm getting the "Could not connect to Turnitin. Double check your API URL setting."

and

"turnitintooltwo/There was an error trying to find the user in Turnitin Fault Code: VersionMismatch | File: [dirroot]/mod/turnitintooltwo/sdk/usersoap.class.php | Line: 157 | Message: Wrong Version | Code: 0"

Were you able to resolve the problems you were having with your server?

Picture of Jorge Villalon

Hi Alex,

I'm also having the same problem here with v2. Can't connect to TII and the diagnostic code is not producing an api log which I could even look at. Even though TurnitIn is valued by teachers, it is a huge problem for our technical department.

We also have a different recurring problem with TII, which is that daylight saving hours in Chile were extended, so for example the old daylight saving indicates a time change today, however we won't do it until April. As TII calculates time according to traditional timezones we get an error from servers' handshaking so we have to change our timezone to somewhere else in order to make Moodle work with TurnitIn and therefore showing stupid information to users (wrong timezone like if they were in Argentina instead of Chile)...

I have posted issues asking for tech support in TurnitIn's website but they have never replied sad

I guess we must be too small a client for them to get interested in our problems.

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Jorge,

Turnitin support can take a bit of time - specifically when related to more complex integration problems. If the standard support desk can't help directly they have to escalate the issue to the development team, then wait for a response from them before they can pass that back to you. From what I understand they only work Mon-Fri - you should get a response but it won't be instant. Their dev team also tries to keep an eye on Moodle posts too so I'm sure you'll hear something soon smile

This sounds like it would require a change to some code somewhere to fix as well - If it requires a change to their API it will need to go through Turnitins internal QA and release process which usually takes a bit of time as well.

Hi Alex/Jorge,

That sounds like you are using the old API address which includes "/api.asp". If you remove this from the URL it should work.

Jorge, I will investigate your support case.

John

Picture of Alex Hosmer

John,

Thanks - That was part of the problem. The administrative guide still includes/api.asp in the URL. It still didn't work after removing that part of the URL, but I did eventually require that fix.

I found that I also needed to go into curl to tell it to ignore our self signed certificate because of this information listed on the cURL website:

If the remote server uses a self-signed certificate, if you don't install a CA

cert bundle, if the server uses a certificate signed by a CA that isn't

included in the bundle you use or if the remote host is an impostor

impersonating your favorite site.

In terminal I entered: curl -k https:ourweburl --insecure

Hope this helps others not sporting an expensive ssl certificate.

Picture of Hittesh Ahuja

Is the plugin fully supported for Moodle 2.6 ?

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Yes - the new plugin from Turnitin and my older plugin both work fine in Moodle 2.6 (although I am likely to drop support for my plugin in 2.7)

Hi Hitesh, as Dan says, the Turnitin plugin works fine in Moodle 2.6.

Thanks

Picture of David Sturrock

Some initial issues we were having with Moodle Direct V2 have been sorted, but still have a problem with report exclusion settings not being carried over into the TII report itself.

So plagiarism plug-in settings for assignments are set to default to exclude bibliography and quotes; specific Moodle assignments show these settings as being in place; but the generated TII reports don't have these items excluded. Once a report is generated, you can manually apply the exclusions using the filter options.

This causing some confusion to our staff and students who have been given guidance on recommended similarity scores based on these exclusions being in place.

Is anyone else having this type of issue?

And a related but separate question - can anyone give some guidance on how I can login to TII itself and view the TII class and assignment that matches with the course/assignment created in Moodle?

Hi David,

Apologies for the bug, we'll get that fixed for the next release.

Regarding logging in to Turnitin, you can use your email address and send yourself a reset password link. You can then get the class/assignment id from your Moodle database and navigate to them within Turnitin.

Regards

John

Picture of David Sturrock

Thanks for the tip John. I have to add myself as a teacher in the Moodle course first smile

On first login to TII I get the student view but can easily toggle to instructor.

Cheers
David