Quiz

Picture of Tzvi Daum
Force students to see feedback right away?

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.4 and would like to know is there is anyway I can force students to see their feedback (right, wrong etc) before they move on to the next question? Right now, after students select an answer they can be given the option to click on "check" to see their feedback, but they can also click on "next" and move on to the next question, which means they won't see their feedback until after the quiz is submitted. I prefer for them to see their result right away while they are still into the question rather after their quiz is done with and the question long forgotten about (about a minute later...). Can this be done? I believe this was possible in 1.9.

Tzvi

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Force students to see feedback right away?
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

If the check button is there, but your students aren't pressing it, you need to ask them why. On the face of it, that makes no sense, but your students aren't stupid.

Picture of Tzvi Daum

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response. To be honest, I don't know what exactly any particular student is doing. I am just concerned that some younger students might be more interested in rushing through their HW and being satisfied with any passing grade. They might not care to look at the details of the feedback once the quiz is submitted.

Is there any way of getting rid of the "check" button and showing the feedback right away before they proceed to the next question? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is how Moodle 1.9 could be made to work.

Tzvi

Picture of Marcus Green
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

In my view, you are trying to use technology to solve a human problem. If they are not bothered to click a button they need talking to not a change to the way Moodle works. I know that can sound like I am "finger wagging" at you but I have thought about this for a long time and there is a limit to what software can do in the face of human nature.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Moodle 1.9 (nor any other version) has ever worked like that.

Picture of Tzvi Daum

Maybe there is some sort of misunderstanding about what I am asking about because Moodle 1.9 certainly did work that way. Meaning, in Moodle 1.9 getting to the next question was generally a two step process when feedback right after attempt was enabled. First students needed to click on "submit" and the feedback was shown and then they needed to click "next" or the the number of a different question to move on.

Right now, Moodle 2+ does not seem to work like that. Students can now click on "next" which acts as a "submit" and "next" button in one or they click on "check" and then "next' (or the number of a different question). As such, students can go on to the next question without getting immediate feedback if they so choose. While I understand the rationale for that for many situations, I believe that for younger students (think under 12) it is better for them to see the results of their choices right away whether they like it or not and not force them to "actively choose" to see the feedback. (If they just want to get it over with, they might not be inclined to review all their choices carefully. I wouldn't call that a human issue, but human nature for that age group. I also know of other electronic quiz systems which the same way. Students see the feedback before moving on.

I am not sure why this is such a great technical difficulty or such an unreasonable request considering that IS how Moodle worked up until 2.0. Basically, I am asking for the option for a "submit" button which leads to feedback and then the option to move on instead of a "next" button which allows them to bypasses immeadiete feedback. It can be an option in the setup of the indivdual quiz. Considering the age of the students I work with, I don't think this is such a horrible request. In any event, it was a yes or no question, can Moodle 2.0+ be set up to work that way?

Tzvi

Picture of Tzvi Daum

Hi Tim,

I just made a little video to illustrate what I am talking about. I don't want to beat a dead horse...but I still believe the instant feedback design is important.

Tzvi

n Moodle 1.9, if you click (Next), or another page number, then the student's response is saved, and will be submitted when they click Submit all and finished, just like in later versions of Moodle.

As I have said several time, in this regard, Moodle 1.9 works just like later versions.

Picture of Tzvi Daum

Okay, I guess I learned something new about 1.9.

Thanks.

Picture of Brandy Weaver

I think the Lesson Module works sort of this way?  For each question, the student chooses an answer and submits, then the feedback is displayed, then a button allowing the student to progress to the next (page/question/etc) is available.

I haven't had much luck constructing lessons, unfortunately. But Lesson in 2.3 would seem to accomplish the effect of "forcing" the student to view the feedback before progressing to the next question.

Brandy Weaver

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

@Brandy,

The Lesson and the Quiz activities are two totally separate Moodle activities. You cannot compare their behaviours. To mention just one important difference: each Lesson page can only consist of one question, unlike Quiz which can have all of the quiz questions on one page.

Joseph