Is it possible to Upgrade Version 1.9.10 to 2.4.1

Is it possible to Upgrade Version 1.9.10 to 2.4.1

by Stephen Mr -
Number of replies: 13

Is it possible to Upgrade Version 1.9.10 to 2.4.1?  if so what steps should i take?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Mr

Re: Is it possible to Upgrade Version 1.9.10 to 2.4.1

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You shouldn't try to do the upgrade in one step.

While it may not technically be necessary, I'd recommend starting by upgrading to 1.9.19+. Doing so seems to make for a more reliable upgrade path.

Then, the farthest forward you can go from 1.9 is 2.2, so the next step would be to upgrade to 2.2.7+.

Then you can upgrade to 2.4.1 if you want to.

I would, along with many others here, recommend that you test each step thoroughly on a copy of your Moodle site before upgrading your live site. And if you use 3rd-party plugins, you'll want to verify they are available for the version you are moving to, or that you can modify your content not to use them.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Constance Horne -

Also, if you have a customized theme in 1.9.x, it WILL NOT WORK in any 2.x version.

In reply to Constance Horne

by Stephen Mr -

thanks so much,  will the latest version work with MySQL version 5.0.91 as long as the PHP version is 5.3.2 or 5.0.91?

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Bret Miller -

According to the doc, "MySQL - minimum version 5.1.33" so probably not.

In reply to Stephen Mr

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Derek Chirnside -

Re Alan's comment:  I agree, this is a viable option and can save a lot of angst, and help start off with a nice clean Moodle database.

Comments on new Moodle, by Backup (1.9)/download/upload/restore (2.4.x) . . .

Legacy files: What do you do with legacy files?  I recommend dispensng with them if possible.  If you want to do any clean up later, then there is NO way to bulk delete legacy files.  See tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36008

Users: you cannot migrate users+passwords.  You will need to work around this.

History: you will loose this.  In several cases I have seen sites backed up > DVD and restored onto a local server for compliance/recording needs.

Opportunity to clean up older courses.  Priceless!!

Time/bandwidth for upload/restore.  AFAIK, There is no automated process for the backup/download/upload/restore to occur, but it is not time consuming if you multitask.  Uploading is the worst part.  There is no way to tell when the process is finished or has faulted.  You are best on this basis to find FTP access to a folder on your server and then restore from there.

Staff training: believe me, having some options like this helps with the PD requirements of staff.  Staff in some areas appreciate the feeling of having choice.  It's like kids eating their greens "Do you want your green on this or that side of the plate".  They need to shift (eventually).  Or they want to shift NOW and you have some early adopters to work with.

Students?  I see little problem here.  They are very adaptable.

I'll be interested if there is more comment on this, Plus, Minus or Interesting.

My 2c worth.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deleted user

by John Gifford -

That's the option I took. Except I took the option during a half term break and spent the break transferring all the viable content from 1.9 to 2.4. It took 5 days but it worked. I restored the 1.9 backups into 2.4 for the majority of it but some of the courses for Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) used the Poodll v1 flashcard activity that doesn't transfer so I rebuilt the flashcards in the improved Poodll v2. No one has objected thus far, I've cleaned out students who have left/haven't logged in for anything up to 4 years and reset everyone...

Next task is really staff training.

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Danny Vaughn -

Hello:

We ae currently using 2.1 and want to upgrade to the most recent and stable version (2.4?). I have read the comments posted, but as a mere fledgling user, I am still concerned as to the best path to take. We do not have a system administrator to relaod everything we have created, but we do have a fairly competent person working with us to administrator a server and make modest adjustments. Unlike many programs (e.g. Microsoft Office), Moodle does not appear to be backward compatable, as folks seem to assert loading every iteration up to and including the most recent version might suggest. Can someone give a more definitive explanation with well developed steps so that us light weights can make the transition.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cordially,

Danny Vaughn

In reply to Danny Vaughn

by Derek Chirnside -

Danny, you are in the wrong place.  This thread is talking about options to move from 1.9 to 2.4.  You do NOT need to reload stuff.

Check out http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Upgrading_FAQ

The process is straightforward from 2.1>2.4.1+ if you take your time and follow the steps.  You will love it when you get there.  I trust.

BACKUP FIRST!!!!!!

But there may also be hidden gotchas.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Danny Vaughn -

Dear Derek:

Thank you for the prompt response. I admit I was uncertain where to voice my concerns as I am a fledgling to Moodle, and the pages are a bit overwhelming. As I gain more experience, I will strive to focus my concerns in more appropriate venues.

I have foreworded the web URL you sent me to my colleague who has greater experience with these upgrade issues. I am primarily a progrem developer and curriculum writer, but I do have a desire to learn to work within this medium. 

Cordially,

Danny Vaughn, Ph.D.
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Bret Miller -

It is fairly straightforward to upgrade, but you cannot got from 2.1 to 2.4.1. You must upgrade to 2.2.7+ first, then you can upgrade to 2.4.1. All versions above 2.2.x require 2.2.x as a minimum version to upgrade from.

I always suggest testing on a test site. If you cannot do that, make sure you back up the moodle php files, moodledata files and the database prior to attempting an upgrade so the old version can be restored if the upgrade fails.

In reply to Bret Miller

by Danny Vaughn -

Thanks Bret for responding.

Cordially,

Danny Vaughn