Quiz

Picture of Nadav Kavalerchik
Moodle CLOZE editor (plugin to TinyMCE)
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I have installed this beautiful plugin a few weeks ago (Moodle 2.3.1). And we (the Teachers) are very happy with it!

So I recommand any of you considering using the CLOZE question type in Moodle 2+ to install and use the Moodle CLOZE editor

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Moodle CLOZE editor (plugin to TinyMCE)
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

One of the clever things about this plugin is that it will re-read the text of a cloze question and display an editable form from it. Nice...

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Lou Rosenberg

I'm having a tough time installing this.  Would you please list the steps you took?  I'm using the latest Moodle.  THANKS!

Picture of Jean-Michel Védrine
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello Lou,

The way TinyMCE plugins works has completely changed in Moodle 2.4.x so don't try to instal a version of a TinyMCE plugin made for previous versions of Moodle in Moodle 2.4 or 2.4.1, because it can't work.

Picture of Jean-Michel Védrine
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I forgot to say that it would not be too difficult to upgrade this editor to be a Moodle 2.4 TinyMCE plugin with the added benefit that it could be installed without patching any Moodle core file.

If a developer is interested by this project a documentation is available.

Picture of Andreas Glombitza

Hi Jean-Michele,

it's great to hear that this possibility (having *real* plugins for TinyMCE within Moodle) seems to exist at last!

I'll look into the documentation provided. I think we should be able to modify our plugin for 2.4. Any additional pointers would be of course welcome and appreciated wink

Это я…

Hi All

I'm modified plugin clozeeditor for Moodle 2.4. See the attached zip-archive

Installation:

1. Сopy the contents of the archive into the directory lib/editor/tinymce/plugins/
  2. Visit  Site administration ► Notifications for installation plugin
  3. Enjoy smile

Вutton "Cloze Editor" will be on the editor in second row after the button "Direction right to left".

UPDATE CLOZE editor (plugin to TinyMCE) for Moodle 2.4

Hi Vadim, Hi All,

there is an update available for Moodle 2.4 from the plugin website at http://projects.ael.uni-tuebingen.de/quiz/htmlarea. That one is based on the latest version of code, which includes reverse parsing of the syntax (the package you attached above doesn't have that, as it seems to be based on a much older version of our code).

Installation process is identical to what you described:

1. Place the contents of the archive in lib/editor/tinymce/plugins/
  2. Go to Site administration ► Notifications to install the plugin

Updating from your version should also be straightforward, just replace the old directory "clozeeditor" and go to "Notifications".

Это я…
Re: UPDATE CLOZE editor (plugin to TinyMCE) for Moodle 2.4

Thank you very much, Andreas

it seems to be based on a much older version of our code

Yes, it is, reworked from version for Moodle 2.1 or, may be, 1.9 big grin

Picture of Samuel Witzig

Our lecturers which use the cloze question type love this editor! A question: Is it planned to develop the cloze editor any further? The point is that Moodle 2.7 as an LTS release probably comes with another text editor (http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_January_2014#Editor_replacement_.28Damyon_Wiese.29) --> "Tending towards Atto, with a CKEditor in the Plugins directory for those who want it."

Picture of dawn alderson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi there,

have been drifitng across some info here.  Logically, if the cloze button (question mark icon-I think in 2.4-could be wrong but there abouts blush) which could be integrated with PHP/Javascript for TinyMCE, then perhaps something similar might be possible wth Atto/and/or CK editor as a plugin....in my world...sounds like same script-ish.

see for example https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181570

cheers,

Dawn

Dear Samuel,

it is not planned, no. We currently lack the resources to migrate the tool to a different editor.

That said, it should be quite manageable to do so for someone else, given that the "new" choice of editor is as easily "pluggable" as TinyMCE.

Alternatively, you could use this website to generate your CLOZE quizzes: http://projects.ael.uni-tuebingen.de/quiz/htmlarea/index.php 

Best,

Andreas

Picture of Anandham K

Hi, Thanks for giving cloze zip file.

Picture of Lou Rosenberg

Oh, ok.  Thanks very much!

Hi Nadav,

good to hear you find our plugin helpful! smile I saw you posted something on the Google Code tracker, but resolved it on the same day. Should we change something that would be useful for others as well, in particular when it comes to modifying this to work in Moodle 2.4.?

Picture of German Valero
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

The cloze plugin add-on for TinyMCE is available at https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=tinymce_clozeeditor for Moodle branches 1.9 and 2.x.

It even works in Moodle 2.7 provided that you choose TinyMCE as your default (profile) personal (or site default) text editor.

Documentation for this plugin is available in Moodle Docs page http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Cloze_editor_module . There is also a Docs page translation in Spanish language.

I think this add-on makes writing Cloze question types very easy, fast and rather syntax-error-free for most/many/some teachers smile

Unfortunately, the main developer no longer has the resources to adapt it to the new Atto editor sad . Any volunteers?

Some people have suggested that this add-on might be a good idea for inclusion in future core branches. After all, writing good questions is a basic need in Moodle and  question types add-ons are a very well developed moodle expansion.