Forum

Picture of Maria Murjani
allocated time for forum posts

I just wanted to ask if someone have an answer as to how much time is alloted when you access the forum. Someone drafted/created a long post (took him two hours to create) then by the time he wanted to post it, the system gave him two options - login or cancel. When he chose to login as he already have a lot of input/text made,  all the text he input disappeared.

Is there a way to recover those text? Is there a way to save the text/data first before posting it on the forum?

Any thoughts, please? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Michael Phillips
Re: allocated time for forum posts

I can't speak for this community forum's settings, but we set our local Moodle to a 4 hour timeout (the default was 2 hours). An explanation of the setting reads: "If people logged in to this site are idle for a long time (without loading pages) then they are automatically logged out (their session is ended). This variable specifies how long this time should be."

As a precaution, we recommend to users who may be composing anything of length (time-wise) to use an external text-editor (notepad, WordPad, Word, etc.) for the composition, then to copy/paste it into the text-field in Moodle (whether for a forum post, an online text assignment, or what have you).

There may be other factors affecting timeout, too (browser timeout?), but it's always safe to use an external text-editor or word processor and to periodically save.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Maria Murjani
Re: allocated time for forum posts

Thanks Michael! Appreciate your inputs and prompt response. I will look into this.

Average of ratings: -