Edwinna - thank you for your quick reply. Sorry to say, that is exactly the procedure I was using, and when logged in as a specific student, the student's user report still does not show the graded assignment that is hidden on the actual course page.
Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly:
1. I create the assignment on the course page, student finished, I grade it, and then hide it
2. In my own gradebook view (as teacher) I can see everything in all gradebook view options
3. But a logged in student does not see the hidden assignment in their gradebook view (user view)
4. I go into the Gradebook link, click on Categories and Items, and choose either Simple View or Full View
5. On the right side, I open up the eyeballs, scroll to the bottom, and SAVE
6. A logged in student still cannot see any assignment that has been hidden on the course page.
I have the settings fine for displaying the overall course average, but our teachers are upset that, when they hide an assignment to make their course more concise and easily used, then students no longer can find a record of that hidden assignment and the score they earned in their gradebook view.
For the record, we're using 2.3.1, Build 20120712.
If this has been fixed in a later build, please let me know, so we can upgrade our installation. Our teachers aren't very happy right now.
But thanks for your suggestion! Any others are appreciated, and if it takes a role permission adjustment, I'm happy to make that.