How can we evaluate Kirkpatrick Model in Moodle

How can we evaluate Kirkpatrick Model in Moodle

by AjnabiZ ... -
Number of replies: 4

Hello

I am using Moodle 2.4.1

Can anyone point how would i be able to assess Kirkpatrick's Four Level of Evaluation Model.

For those of you who are not familiar with the original Four Levels, this is what they are:

• Level 1. Reaction: To what degree did the learners react favorably to the training experience?
  • Level 2. Learning: To what degree did the learners acquire the intended knowledge, skills, and attitudes as a result of the training?
  • Level 3. Behavior: To what degree did the learners apply what they learned back on the job?
  • Level 4. Results: To what degree did the targeted outcomes occur as a result of the training experience and follow-up reinforcement?

Kirkpatrick’s revision of the Four Levels starts with defining what the results, or return on expectations should be. It then goes backwards through the four levels in sequence, building a “chain of evidence” with data from all four of the levels. The “chain of evidence” supports the results, showing the value learning and reinforcement has provided to the business. Kirkpatrick calls this Return on Expectations, or ROE.

How can I setup moodle in order to evaluate students using Kirkpatricks model. ? I need to see how is the learning effecting the students and what they are getting out of it.

Is there any better method from Kirkpatrick ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to AjnabiZ ...

Re: How can we evaluate Kirkpatrick Model in Moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This looks to be a question about work-based training. I hope that is a correct assumption.

I don't think that you can get Moodle to assess all that. (It can't solve world hunger either wink)

For level 1, run a questionnaire at the end of the training course, to get feedback from students. You can use either the build in Feedback activity, or install the Questionnaire add-on.

For level 2, use the Moodle quiz.

It is level 3 and 4 where the whole point is that you cannot assess these within the corse itself.

For Level 3, you need to wait until the student next has and appraisal / progress interview with their line managed. Then the manager needs to ask "You know that training course you went on a few months ago? Have you actually applied that in your job? If so, give me an example."

For level 4, this is really about whether the training produced a measurable improvement in the business. For example, suppose you send a salesman on a "How to smile sincerely" course. You really need to measure that salesman's gross sales for the six months before and after the training course, and see if there is an increase. you probably also have to adjust for seasonal and one-off factors, etc. to ensure it is a true comparison.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by AjnabiZ ... -

@Tim Hunt

Thanks for the answer. It really helps.

Regarding Level 3 and 4, the teacher could make it a requisite in order to move to the next level/week course.

For 3 , He might make an assignment for the the students to complete 1 task during the week and report back the result and the scenario which he faced.

For 4, It would be a final questionnare after the 6 month course is finished and ask the students about the practical difference the course has had on them and to list how they implemented the knowledge/skills learned in the course in their daily lives.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by AjnabiZ ... -

Here are the guidelines for evaluating each level:

Guideline for evaluating Reaction (Level 1):

• Determine what you want to find out
  • Design a form that will quantify reactions
  • Encourage written comments
  • Get 100|% Immediate response
  • Develop acceptable standards

Guideline for evaluating Learning (Level 2):

• Measure before and after attitudes, knowledge and skills
  • Use a performance test for skills
  • Get 100% response

Guideline for evaluating Behavior (Level 3):

• Measure on a before / after basis
  • Allow time for behavior change to take place (3-6 months)
  • Get 100% response
  • Repeat at appropriate times

Guideline for evaluating Results (Level 4):

• Measure on a before and after basis
  • Allow time for possible results to take place (6 to 12 months)
  • Repeat at appropriate times
  • Consider "Evidence" if "Proof" not possible

In reply to Tim Hunt

by AjnabiZ ... -

Hello Tim

I missed your statement

This looks to be a question about work-based training. I hope that is a correct assumption.

What i am trying to setup is a site where lessons would be taught either through audio or text. The result has to be "Behavior Change in Daily Life". It is not limited to only workplace, rather in every part of his/her daily life.

It woud provide scenarios to the student and require them to solve them in their own ways and provide feedback if there method was correct or not.

That is what i am trying to setup in moodle, a learning path to achieve that.

Can you suggest any pointers ?