Mathematics tools

Picture of Diane Coupal
Problems with Moodle and Java

I have been using DragMath regularly, but on Wednesday (Jan. 30) I was told by DragMath that I needed to update Java. I did that, updating to 7u11, which I assume means version 7, update 11. After the installation, I was able to use DragMath to answer a problem for a student. The following night, when I tried to get on, I was again told to update Java. I reinstalled the same version. This time DragMath didn't work. The window comes up; a small loading line appears at the bottom, with the words Insert and Cancel only. When I went to the Java website, there is an applet to test the installation of Java. It indicated that I didn't have it installed properly. I followed all of the directions and tests indicated on the website, but nothing helped.

I am using a MacBook Pro with OS 10.7.5. I was using Safari v. 6.

I would like to know if DragMath requires this version of Java to run. If so, I don't know how to properly install Java 7u11. (It should be automatic???) Should I try to go back to Java version 6? Will that work or am I just postponing the inevitable?

I hope that you can assist me since Java is tied in so closely to Moodle via DragMath.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Problems with Moodle and Java
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Diane,

I do not use Macs, and normally, do not use Safari except when testing upgrades, but there have been a BUNCH of Java updates lately. In my lab at school, my students and I just updated to Java 7u13 earlier this week and just before I started writing this entry, I checked and it is already replaced with 7u15! My DragMath seems to work fine with 7u15. Updates like this are usually to fix vulnerabilities so I tend to always update instead of trying to go back.

Hope this helps,

AL

Picture of Diane Coupal
Re: Problems with Moodle and Java

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct. I have since found out that Macs are being compromised through Java. Just this week, Macs at Apple Headquarters in Cupertino were broken into. They also stated that some PCs were also compromised through Java. It appears that using DragMath requiring Java is going to be difficult for all.

Diane