Experimental adaptive grid system theme "Fluffy Bunny Feet" for Moodle 2.4

Experimental adaptive grid system theme "Fluffy Bunny Feet" for Moodle 2.4

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Mary et all,

Whilst discussing the MyMobile theme with Mary the thought of using a Grid system for theme layout was mentioned.  So, having had a idea for a Moodle 2.4 theme based upon the Wordpress theme Espanade - http://www.onedesigns.com/wordpress-themes/esplanade-free-wordpress-theme - and using the adaptive version of the 960 grid system - http://adapt.960.gs/ and http://960.gs/ - I have knocked up an experimental theme today - attached.

I could not think of a name so the first obscure thought that entered my mind was 'Fluffy Bunny Feet' from the film 'Hot Shots!'.  As you will see from the following screen shots the theme is not fluffy, bunny like or resemble feet.

Feedback appreciated, cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Experimental adaptive grid system theme "Fluffy Bunny Feet" for Moodle 2.4

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Screen shot one.

Attachment screenshot_sm.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gareth J Barnard -

Screen shot two - dithered to allow posting.

Attachment screenshot2_sm.png

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have just downloaded and will take a look after tea! smile

I like the script in the header. smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Derek Chirnside -

I should say Mary, as an amateur, in answer to your question about "Should we use a grid?" on some other thread I think the answer is yes.  I've seen the difference and felixibility a grid can make to wordpress themes.  I had a look at the one you referred to, it did look like it hadn't been maintained for a while.  But on the question of which grid, I have no intelligent input to provide.

-Derek

PS.  Gareth, if that was in your brain, probably good it has come out.  I love it.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thank you Mary smile

The particular wordpress theme that helped with the development did not actually use a grid, but I liked it's elegance so having used a mobile grid system with jQueryMobile on another project I thought I would have a bash smile.

Thanks for the image Derek smile - with 47 current themes I needed something really obscure that nobody probably had thought of without doing too much research on what is already there.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Dear Gareth,

I loaded your theme and it install with not problem It seems to be working OK, although I noticed the table for the block calendar needs tweaking, there was nothing on the pages I visited that looked out of place.

As it is now installed on the master branch of my localhost/moodle site I'll keep testing FluffyBunnyFeet at the same time as working/testing another theme that I am working on.

It's looking good!

Thanks

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Mary,

Thank you smile.

I've now put the code on GitHub - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_fluffybunnyfeet/tree/MOODLE_24

I've integrated your loginout.php code from the tiny theme but not got it quite working yet.  I also noticed that you are using 'html5shim' so I've put that in but not tested yet.  I also read in .Net magazine that you can get a shim to get rid of all the '-moz' type css, so will give that a bash.

The calendar is now fixed by slightly reducing the font size.  The 'adapt.js' config script is now in its own php file in the 'layout' folder.

Aside, I did like your settings.php file and found it useful to add settings to the Collapsed Topic's course format.

A thought has struck me that the detection script could be used to kick in jQueryMobile rendering when the size get's too small which would then alleviate the need for a separate mobile theme and admins picking more than one - a thing for the future?  As long as the 'data-role' tag attribute is not normally interpreted then this should be quite easy.

Cheers,

Gareth