Upgrade Hangup

Upgrade Hangup

by Ralph Blakeslee -
Number of replies: 2

Help!

I was upgrading to 2.4.1 using Softaculous installation.  All was going well until I got to the database update and received the following:

DDL sql execution error

Debug info: Out of range value for column 'timestart' at row 69

ALTER TABLE `mdl_forum_discussions` MODIFY COLUMN `id` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, MODIFY COLUMN `course` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `forum` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `firstpost` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `userid` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `timemodified` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `usermodified` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `timestart` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' , MODIFY COLUMN `timeend` bigint(10) signed NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' 
Error code: ddlexecuteerror
Stack trace:
  • line 432 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: ddl_change_structure_exception thrown
  • line 860 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 161 of /lib/db/upgradelib.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->change_database_structure()
  • line 233 of /lib/db/upgrade.php: call to upgrade_mysql_fix_unsigned_and_lob_columns()
  • line 1493 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_main_upgrade()
  • line 284 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_core()

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

Re: Upgrade Hangup

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you ever feel like you're getting the 'run around'? :\

Have never used Softaculous for installs or upgrades, but wonder if the script is set (or permissions on DB user) to allow the DB user total/all access rights to the DB - including, ALTER, MODIFY.

The first error mentions 'Out of range value for column 'timestart'.  Is your systems time correct?  Think that column uses UNIX epoch time values which it probably gets from talking to the system.

I see http://www.softaculous.com/apps/educational/Moodle has a link for support that comes to here.  Hmmmmm ... It's almost like saying, 'our script is correct, it's Moodle that has issues'.  When, truth of the matter, it really might be them, a check of db user permissions that was missed, the hosting provider, or a combination of factors!  Have no issues installing 2.4.1 via git or the 'long way'.

Have any tool that allows you to check user permissions on the DB?  Have any tool to check time? and if the shared host you are probably on has any UNIX epoch time issues?

Check with hosting provider.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Upgrade Hangup

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Ken,

Thanks for sharing!  I typically do not use Softaculous for installations or upgrades.  It was late at night, and I wanted to get it done before bedtime.  I also made the cardinal mistake of not backingup my DB.  My really, really bad.  People - listen everyone, they tell the truth - BACK UP EVERYTHING.

That being said, I will check the db user permission the UNIX epoch time issues.  I am also going to do a installation the "long way" and see what happens.

If anyone else has any suggestions please post.  I need to try to fix this my Monday...

Many thanks

Ralph