Teaching with Moodle

Picture of Candace Donovan
Highlight Text in a Quiz

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is some sort of plug-in / tool that allows the student to highlight or do something similar to the text.  I'm doing an ESL class and I'm focusing on reading comprehension.  I want students to read a passage on Moodle, then do things like highlight all the verbs or highlight all the vocabulary words.  I prefer highlighting because the different colors really make the sentence structure pattern jump out however I am open to other ideas like circling and underlining things.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Re: Highlight Text in a Quiz

Something like this would be great, especially if I could change colors.

http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/EnglishGrammar101/Module1/Lesson1-50.aspx

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle does not have a question type like that yet. It would be a nice question type to create, if anyone wants a challenge.

You might be able to create similar questions using the OU's drag-and-drop question types, if you are prepared to install some add-ons. https://moodle.org/plugins/search.php?s=drag+and+drop

Picture of AL Rachels
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Candace,

How about using an essay question type? The student would have to retype, or copy and paste the passage into their answer area, after which they could then mark it up using the select background color tool button available in the TinyMCE text editor for Moodle 2.3 and 2.4. In Moodle 1.9 the tool is just named background color. They can even mark with different colors to mark for different things in the same passage. The down side to doing it  this way, is it takes a little more work from the teacher, since you have to grade essay questions manually.

I used to do the above. For something a little faster and easier on me, I have started using short answer type questions because they get graded automatically. I give students a sentence at a time and tell them what they need to put in the answer box, verb, adverb, punctuation, etc. I also use adaptive mode question behaviour with the  penalty for each incorrect try controlling how many attempts they can make on a question, depending on how tough I think the question is.

Hope this helps,

AL

I will probably do the short answer type questions.  One of the things I'm testing them on is sentence structure and that would work great.

Every week we have a 50 min - 80 question reading comprehension test.  Some questions are short answer and some are reading paragraphs then answering questions.  What I've been doing is giving my students extra credit points for highlighting the answers in the paragraphs, their reading comprehension has increased dramatically.  

I want them to be able to practice this skill to increase their speed on test day. I rather do it on Moodle so (a) I don't have to mark it (b) I can share it with my colleagues so all students in the multiple sections we have can benefit.

Any thinking outside the box ideas for how to work around these using the tools that are currently available?

Thanks.

Also am I able to put in a conditional statement where if the drop box below the word is a particular part of speech, the word changes to a specific color?  I find colors to be particularily useful for visual learners.

Picture of AL Rachels
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Candace,

This is how I help my seventh and eight grade students practice to increase their speed and material retention on test day, in my Computer Applications classes. I have a seperate course setup they are all enrolled in, named Random Quizzes. In the course, I have a bunch of different subject, 5 minute timed, 10 question, quizzes there. Each quiz is set to randomly pick questions from the question bank that covers the subject we are currently working on in class. I have them take a random quiz at the start of each class session, as my class starter.

The RQ class is setup so they can check their grades, but the grades do not count for course completion, as this is strictly a practice/study resource only. It just allows both me, and them, to track their progress in "learning" the material.

Test days now go VERY rapidly. As computers have broken and been replaced, I have a few that are now much better/faster than the rest. We play musical chairs after each test. The top 50% scorers get to pick where they want to sit, with time being the tie breaker. They MUST be present on test day to get the chance to move to the "good" stuff.

I used to have about a 20~25% failure rate on tests with some students seeming always to be sick and absent on test day. It would usually take nearly the whole period to complete a test. For yesterdays test I had one absentee. The test was twentyfive (five pages of five questions each) questions with the fastest time being 1:39 and the slowest 5:47. The overall average was 87.61 with NO failures. The test and setting shuffle only took 15 minutes and then it was a normal project work day for the rest of the period.

I do not know of an easy way to do any conditional color changes. I have only done that manually while editing/creating questions.

One other thing I do, for students who do not read well and for my occasional ESL student, is that I have added audio to all the questions that I use in tests. I make them using Nanogong.

By the way. In the random quiz class, I keep a hidden copy of the random quiz as a template. It has everything setup, timing, scoring, etc. just no questions. When I need a new test, I duplicate it, edit the name, add the ten questions, then turn it on so it can be seen.

AL