Group error: You can't take attendance for group

Group error: You can't take attendance for group

by Jet Hall -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

Our site is 2.3.  I have a course with 14 non-editing teachers each in a separate group.  I set up the attendance module with separate groups.  I recently installed the attendance module so I know it has the recent fix that allows the module to recognize separate groups (fixed here).

I think my issue may be related to this fix.The problem is, when one of my instructors tries to take attendance it gives an error:  You can't take attendance for group "Friday 12:30 Section"

"Friday 12:30 section" is the group mentioned regardless of which instructor is trying to access.  The module should be allowing them to acces their own group.
Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
Jet

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jet Hall

Re: Group error: You can't take attendance for group

by Jet Hall -

An update to our problem.  If I remove the attendance sessions related to the group that is referenced in the error message, the error messages disappear and all other instructors are able to grade their own groups. 

So, I went ahead and deleted this group and created a new group with a new set of sessions.

Interestingly, the error reappeared and none of the other sections could take attendance again.  This error causing is the last group in the list of groups. 

I also have a duplicate of our course with several groups and all groups/the attendance module is functioning perfectly fine.

Any idea why this is happening or how to narrow the focus of the bug?  Any suggestion for how to fix?

Thanks,
Jet

In reply to Jet Hall

by Artem Andreev -

Hello Jet,

sorry but I can't reproduce described issue. I looked at the code and I have only one idea why such issue can exist - if user who try to take attendance doesn't have capability 'mod/attforblock:takeattendances' for this attendance instance.

In reply to Artem Andreev

by Daniel Lombardo -

Hi Artem

Sorry to interject here. mdl v2.3.3

We have an issue with Attendance and groups. We use many groups in a course and have separated group sessions in the module. If a student is moved to another group, they seem to keep their records from the first group but it's hidden - I have to add the student back to the other group to see the records appear, but still cannot remove them.

Is there a way to remove those records or transfer them to the sessions of the new group when we change the location of a student?

Regards

In reply to Daniel Lombardo

by Artem Andreev -

At the now there is no way for doing this.

May be it would be good to implement ability to see all sessions in user report and delete some of them. But I don't know when I will have time to implement such features.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Jet Hall -

The error went away as mysteriously as it arrived. 

When enrolled as an instructor from one of the courses that was receiving the error, I would click on "Take Attendance" and get the error.  Then while the error was up on screen, on one occassion I clicked on "add" in the attendance block and the application then returned to normal behavior.  When I clicked on "take attendance" again under that same user, his section was viewable and there was no longer an error.  The error resolved entirely for all users.  So, I'm going to keep an eye on it... could it just have been some type of database bug? 

Something to note was that even if I added additional groups it was always the last group in the list that was noted in the error.

Thanks Artem for getting back to me.  I'll keep you posted if the bug reappears.

- Jet