Assignment

Assignments with mp3 files not showing the PLAYER

Picture of Nathan Hammond
Assignments with mp3 files not showing the PLAYER

Does anybody know how I can have students upload an MP3 file in an assignment that will show me their file with a PLAYER instead of the filename that must be downloaded? It's not productive to download each of my 50 students files to listen to them. A PLAYER that plays their work without downloading the file is a much better solution.

PoodLL doesn't quite work for me in this instance (as I need a pause button for student recordings). But it does display the PLAYER when a student uses it.

Also this feature did exist in Assignment 2.2. It is called Online Audio Recording. I had students simply bypass the Flash player and upload their MP3 recording. On the backend then I got a PLAYER for each recording.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Assignments with mp3 files not showing the PLAYER
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Nathan,

When you click the PoodLL play button and the audio starts playing, there is a pause button. It will be right above where the green arrow is in your picture. An alternative, since you have that assignment already set up for inline text, students can use the Moodle Media toobutton in the TinyMCE editor window to upload mp3 files. PoodLL will put a player there automatically, also.

HTH,

AL

reply picture

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

As Al says. There is a pause button on the PoodLL player. The big black box is just used to speed things up when there are 25 players on a single page. Once you click it a flowplayer of the same size is displayed.

It will probably look like this:

Thanks Justin,

I just sent you a message off your PoodLL contact us webpage. But here is essentially the same follow up question again.

Thanks for the response...

I do see the pause button for playback in PoodLL, but there is no pause button for when a student records. Thus I have been making my students upload their MP3 file using a software based program that allows them to pause their recording.

My main question/search is for a way to get an uploaded file to show the media player (like it does for PoodLL...or in Moodle 2.2 the Upload Audio File assignement type).

Any ideas?

Thanks for the response...

I do see the pause button for playback in PoodLL, but there is no pause button for when a student records. Thus I have been making my students upload their MP3 file using a software based program that allows them to pause their recording.

My main question/search is for a way to get an uploaded file to show the media player (like it does for PoodLL...or in Moodle 2.2 the Upload Audio File assignement type).

Any ideas?

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Nathan,

I don't have a Moodle 2.2 but this works in Moodle 2.3.4+, so maybe it will work for you. I use a normal Moodle assignment set up for Online text. I have the students upload an mp3 file in the text frame using the Moodle Media toolbutton. WIth PoodLL installed and it's filter set to play mp3's, you will see the normal PoodLL player instead of a filename.

It is important that students understand they HAVE to upload into the Text area because the filter will work for Content but NOT for an uploaded file as shown by the following pictures.

Note the students view of the Submission Status, shows the File Submission as a name only but the Online text of the same exact file inserted with the Moodle Media button in the text frame is showing the PoodLL player. (excuse the overdue)

Fig 1

Here is the teachers grading view. Again the file upload just shows the name but the Online Text is showing the PoodLL player.

Fig 2

Hope it works for you,

AL

Picture of AL Rachels

Hate to reply to my own entry, but it was getting a little long...

By the way...you can do the same thing with the PoodLL assignment. While setting it up, under Submission Settings, set the Online Text to Yes and then it gives the students the option of doing a normal PoodLL recording or add an mp3 into the text frame. If they use an mp3 three file they can ignore the PoodLL recorder and submit anyway. The teacher will get a netstream file not found when trying to play the unrecorded PoodLL player but the one in the Online text column will work as previously described.

AL

Picture of Justin Hunt

Just to keep all the information in one place, though I have talked with Nathan directly over mail, I am posting here too.

Nathan wants his students to pause while recording, and then restart the recording. Thats a nifty feature, so I would like to put that into PoodLL.

But for now he is having his students record offline and then upload their files. But then , here is the crunch, the teacher doesn't get the player when grading the assignment. Because it is no longer a poodll recording submission, just a boring old file submission,

However if you set HTML5 recording to always on in the PoodLL filter settings, then in place of a recorder on a PoodLL assignment submission,  they will get a fancy upload button. It is designed for mobiles, but it still works on desktops. When the student uploads , poodll processes it like a regular audio recording, and the teacher will see the player in the grading/feedback area.

Picture of James Thomas

Good evening,

I'm wondering what prevents the player from showing. Is it a filter? 

I'm using a 2.2 in Chrome on Mac, and the player does not show. 

But when I use my school's Moodle installation on the same computer/browser, it does work. 

I presume it has nothing to do with the theme. 

Thanks,

James

Picture of Justin Hunt

I think the original problem posted here, is probably not related to yours James. 

In answer to your question though, Moodle uses a "filter" to parse the text being sent out and replace parts of it if necessary.  So in most cases the multimedia plugins filter will see something like:

<a href="/i/like/listen/to/music.mp3">music.mp3</a>

And replace it with html audio tags or tags for a flash player. So you should check which filters you have enabled, and what the order of them is.

Also not everything gets put through a filter. So some places in Moodle, just won't get the player no matter what. The "attach a file" submission type of an assignment when displayed, is one of these ..I think. 

Picture of James Thomas

Hi Justin,

Firstly thanks. Yes, I thought the Poodle content was not overly relevant to me, but I saw no other discussion.

When you say, check which filters you have enabled, is there a list somewhere of what I would need to enable? And regarding their order, do you know where in the Moodle labyrinth of info I might find out about this? 

At the top of manage filters, I have in order, Convert URLs into links and images (with all the types ON in its settings), followed by Multimedia plugins.

Context sensitive help would make a world of difference in such places.

Thanks for YOUR help.

James

Picture of Justin Hunt

James

There is a bit of a learning curve with Moodle I suppose. Its all things to all people so there is no avoiding some complexity and a myriad of settings. My advice is to not be shy about posting on the forums, but always do a Google search first to see if you can get it yourself.

If the multimedia plugins filter is enabled then you should be set up to play audio. The default setting is to provide players for mp3 audio, so I doubt that is a problem. But nevertheless you can check the settings for the multimedia plugins filter at site administrations -> appearance -> media embedding

How are you embedding/uploading your file? And where are you putting it? Also what does it look like after you display the page where you want the player? Do you see anything at all there? If you can you tell us some more about your moodle installation and what you are doing, it should help us help solve the problem.

Justin

Picture of James Thomas

You are very kind. I checked the appearance, and all media are checked.

... an hour later: so the media player does show in Labels, but not in the normal Section content area. I can live with this as I prefer labels for their mobility.

Thanks very much,

James