Assignment

Picture of Michael Aherne
Turnitin plagiarism plugin
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Does anyone know anything about the roadmap for Turnitin's development of a plagiarism plugin for Moodle? We have been trying Dan Marsden's one and are finding it excellent, but are very reluctant to install it on our production server as we're due to upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 in June or July. At the moment, we don't know if there will be a Turnitin-developed release by then, and are assuming that Dan's plugin won't be upgraded to 2.4 given that the Turnitin one is presumably underway.

Any information would be useful!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: Turnitin plagiarism plugin
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Michael, 

I'd be surprised if Turnitin managed to release code that provided the same functionality as mine in a state ready to deploy to a production site by June/July - of course anything is possible but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not part of their development team either so I have no insight on the timeframes they are working to - as a Turnitin customer you could send them an e-mail and ask for info on their plans?

The good news is that my plugin works in both 2.3 and 2.4 and should behave better than the 2.2 plugin - the plan is also to have an upgrade path/migration script to allow people using my plugin to migrate to the new plugin without losing any data.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Hi Dan, thanks for the information! I didn't realise your plugin works on 2.4 too, which is great to know. My main worry was that, if we were to go with your plugin in production and Turnitin's didn't arrive before maybe April or May, then we may need to look at porting your code to 2.4 ourselves.

It's excellent to know that there are plans for an upgrade path from yours to the Turnitin one too. That should make it a lot easier for us just to go ahead!I've also contacted Turnitin support to see if they can give us any idea when their new plugin might be ready, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Picture of Paul Dawson

Hi,

We (Turnitin) are currently developing a replacement for Dan's plug in. The work is being done against the soon to be released new Turnitin API. We are aiming to release a beta version of the new Moodle Direct v2 integration in April (which will have the new plagiarism plug in bundled) and a production ready version around June / July.

If you would like to take part in beta testing please PM me and I'll get the relevant details from you and add you to the list of Beta testers.

Cheers
Paul

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Thanks, Paul. We'd be very interested in this - I've PM'd you.

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Paul - will this plugin integrate with the newer Moodle Assign module, the older Assigment module, or be completely standalone?

Picture of Leonard Houx

Hi Dan,

When you say 'behave better', do you mean it would resolve the problems with 2108 errors? 

Thanks smile

Leonard

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

2108 errors are afaik an issue with the existing API - I don't think there's anything I can do about them (other than change the email address to one that conforms with the old RFC822 standard - probably best to ask Turnitin if their new API will support a newer standard for emails.

Just wondering . . .
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I just asked about this recently at TII.

They sent this link: http://www.turnitin.com/en_us/support/integrations/moodle-direct 

Pauls offer to be part of beta testing is a good opportunity.

-Derek