Themes

Picture of Ray Waller
New uploaded White Carbon theme not showing in theme selector

Running Moodle 2.2.6, FTP uploaded to themes folder "wcarbon" theme folder which was purchased and downloaded from NewSchoolLearning. Have read through various forums and tried all listed remedies to no avail. Suggestions? Also contacted RL and NSL, will post solutions when resolved.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of John St
Re: New uploaded White Carbon theme not showing in theme selector
Group Developers

I don't see the support request, but I just tested in 2.2 and it appears fine. Make sure the files have the correct linux permissions, clear the moodle cache, etc.

Picture of Ray Waller

Apologies John, posted support ticket, got tired last night...

I did clear theme caches, linux permissions? I presume you are referring to folder read/write permissions, yes verified those also. We self host w/ Remote Learner (RL) support, hopefully they have a solution since it's their box we bought.

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Ray,

Usually after uploading the un-zipped theme to your server. You have to install it into Moodle and until that happens you wont see anything.

Becasue themes are seen as PLUGINS you are first taken through a 'Plugins Check where you theme is verified as being 'fit for purpose'. If for some reason it is missing some element, a name a file, whatever, you will not be allowed to install it until whatever is needs fixing is fixed.

So assuming that...

1. You passed the INSTALL stage OK
  2. You have have purged all caches, checked permissions etc

...then can I suggest you enable Debugging in Site Administration > Development > Debugging. Be sure to set it to Developer Mode and enable Error messages to the page. These are easier to see and act on quickly.

Hope this helps?

Let me know how you get on.

Mary

Picture of Ray Waller

Thx for the update Mary. I guess I'm missing the "install" step, I thought it was just un-zip, and copy folder into the themes directory. But obviously it needs some more tlc. I'm going to try the using "Standard Theme" folder idea, shown here, since RL hasn't gotten back to me. dtf

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Ray,

Using the FTP client, can you see your theme wcarbon sitting inside the theme directory like so?

moodle/theme/wcarbon

And assuming you can when you open your wcarbon theme do you see...

1. moodle/theme/wcarbon/wcarbon
    OR
  2. moodle/theme/wcarbon
    ../../../layout
    ../../../style
    ../../../config.php
    etc...

If it is No. 1. then this is where you have gone wrong as you have added the actual theme into a folder of the same name, and that is why Moodle is not reading it.

You only need to upload the folder that contains the theme file and subdirectories to the servers moodle/theme/ directory.

Check what the other themes look like for guidance.

HTH

Mary

EDIT

Doing what is advised in THAT document will cause you no end of problems. Who ever wrote that is wrong.

I wrote some of that document in 2010 specifically for Moodle 2.0, when themes did not have version.php, which is what Moodle checks to see is OK. If you try to do what is written in that document, then you will get errors in Moodle. And now since we have dropped 2.0/2.1& 2.2 we are only maintaining versions 2.3 & 2.4 and that is why the Moodle doc is labeled 2.4. and it very much out of date!

Picture of Ray Waller

Mary thank you for your input, frustating when something basic is not so sad  I do have it in the theme folder, version 2 above.

My FTP directory path is /var/www/moodledata/cache/theme/wcarbon, this is where my other themes reside. All files appear to be intact, do I need to change a directory refernce?

It's only an avatar...

Where is your Moodle installation?

Is that in moodledata too or some other location?

I am guessing someplace else as moodledata/cache is a temp directory you could delete it and would re create itself smile

So my BIG guess is you have uploaded your theme to the wrong folder, or RL work in a totally different way so that YOU cannot disturb their peace LOL

Adding all your themes to moodledata seems terribly wrong to this little lady. As dim as I can be some days, I see no logic in that set up at all.

There MUST be an explaination.

As for where your Moodle files are is where your theme should be.

I would say somewhere like...

../var/www/html/
in which case your active theme folder should be in...

../var/www/html/theme/wcarbon

Of course that's just a guess...but I would love you to prove me wrong.

Mary

It's only an avatar...

Further to my last comment here is Moodle (2.5 development)

https://github.com/moodle/moodle/

In that list you will find the 'theme' directory click that and there are all the themes. This is the Moodle structure you need to find on YOUR server, and then you will be able to locate the correct THEME directory where you need to add your theme.

The themes you see in your moodledata/cache/theme/ directory are cached data for all your Moodle Themes, NOT the theme's themeselves. If you were to click one you should see something that looks like...

standard/designer.ser if you have Theme Designer Mode enabled

or

standard/followed by all the files that are currenlty in the cache

HTH

Mary

Picture of Ray Waller

LOL - me soooo blind, that would probably do it....

To quote the straw man; "If I only had a brain."

Too bad RL, isn't responding to my ticket, because they locked my upload access to the html/theme directory so I guess it will hav eto wait. Thx again Mary. I'll post once they fix.

It's only an avatar...

Those darn computer...they make like soooo complicated!

Picture of Ray Waller

Gotta love RL...

To ensure the integrity of our clients Moodle instance, Remote Learner has in place a policy that protects and safeguards the LMS system from rogue or errant code. Integral with this policy; Remote Learner does not allow the insertion/installation of any custom coded blocks, modules or plug-in’ to a client site except via the CCRMS.
Because this theme is a custom theme and will not work under moodledata/theme/ We will need this theme to be in a CCRMS. Your account manager will contract you about a Custom Code Risk Management Solution (CCRMS) for this theme.

They placed it in a moodledata/theme directory instead of html/theme; duh of course it has issues.

Details to folllow...

It's only an avatar...

I hope they don't charge for the service?

Picture of Ray Waller

Yes, we have a service contract with them, but will be evaluating that at years end. Possibly moving to Classroom Revolution for support, if we get in a bind. Currently waiting to hear from New School about revising template to fit RL directory config.

Not my first choice smile

Picture of Mike Churchward
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Ray. I'm sorry that your experience frustrated you to the point where you felt it necessary to question our (Remote-Learner's actions) in this forum. But let me clarify some things.

First, we have policies in place to control what code is installed in all of our supported code bases. This is for a number of reasons:

1. It provides a known, stable, supportable code base.
  2. It helps to ensure security of your data by minimizing the chances of insecure code being installed on your site.
  3. It helps to ensure performance is maintained by minimizing the chances of code with serious performance issues being installed on your site.

A Moodle theme is code - it can contain PHP and as such is susceptible to security and performance issues.

We allow all of our subscription clients to install validated Moodle plug-ins into their code bases through our processes, which are included in your subscription service. For most plug-ins, they simply need to be provided through the support interface. We evaluate them, inform you of the results, and if validated, install them on your site.

For themes, we give you a bit more rope. We allow you to SFTP them into a "moodledata" folder set up for themes. As Tim pointed out, this is a valid feature of Moodle.

Reviewing your case, your themes were installed in that way - in your "moodledata/theme/" directory. This directory is set up to work with Moodle themes. Any custom theme that has been built correctly, should work with any directory configured with $CFG->themedir.

You have inferred that we were non-responsive in the case you entered. Although I can see our initial response could have been quicker, I do see that the tech was communicating with you on the weekend on this issue.

I will contact you directly to go over our policies and make sure you understand they are in your best interests. I would also like to hear about any other issues you may have with our services.

Regards,

Mike Churchward

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
It's only an avatar...

Mike,

I totally understand where you are coming from with this issue, but what I cannot grasp is what is wrong with the theme is question, that it wont work from an external theme directory?

Cheers

Mary

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

The moodledata/theme thing is a feature, not a but. Read about $CFG->themedir in config-dist.php. If your theme does not work when run in that way, then it is a bug with that theme.

It's only an avatar...

Tim,

Ray uploaded his theme to moodledata/cache/theme NOT moodledata/theme which would have made sense if RL are using $CFG->themedir

In my moodledata directory I have cache/theme as far as I am aware this only seems to carry the themes I have looked at or used and if deleted regenerates itself with new cache.

HTH

Mary

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, we don't know how RL set $CFG->themedir, or if they do. In fact, it looks like I was misreading the orgininal post, and they do not.

The folder cache, and everything inside it, is private to Moodle. cache/theme does indeed store some information about each theme, but that is not the theme itself. You should not fiddle around in there, the only thing you could achive is to break things.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Ray Waller

my apologies for all the confussion, to clarify, yes I originally uploaded to wrong cache/theme; then realized I needed html/theme but couldn't access per RL policy. Contacted support who placed wcarbon them in moodledata/theme and tried some redirection. This did not work, https://moodle2.cnusd.k12.ca.us/moodle226 is demo site.

Discussed w/ vendor find/replace in theme which is not beneficial, so now RL & vendor shall work out placing in themes folder or configuring the structure.

Picture of Ray Waller

Good to know

Picture of Ray Waller

First of all I want to say thank you for the Moodle community feedback and participation in this discussion, I also want to give props to the Moodle Partners and supporters (Mary) that fight the good fight and defend against the BB machine.

Hopefully Remote Learner and New Schools Learning can figure this out, from what Tim & Mike shared RL is correct in using the /moodledata/theme directory structure for 3rd party themes, but the themes must be properly coded/designed using a directory configured with $CFG->themedir. DTF

It's only an avatar...

I have not quite figured out what RL means by 'correctly coded', in this context yet. As far as I know, assuming the theme is Moodle complient, meaning that it has all the necessary components to work, and knowing NSL have built many of the themes in Moodle CORE, then I am at a loss as to knowing what was or was not right with that particular theme, unless RL's policy is to convert it to some other theme engine format?

If a theme has to be built differently to be used from an external theme directory like RL/moodledata/theme and RL have $CFG->themedir in their root config.php then I am not aware of such a thing.  Either that or I missed something in Danny Whal's discussion about this new feature.

TPM

(Totally Perplexed Mary)

Picture of John St
Group Developers

I don't undertand either. There is nothing odd in it, a renderer and a settings file. No hardcoded paths anywhere. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.  

It's only an avatar...

Here's looking on the bright side, life is too short. To say a Moodle theme can have some PHP in it, is an understatment. It's to be hoped it has else it wouldn't work! LOL

I must admit I was wondering if it was something like the Express Theme set up that MoodleRooms have?

Well you live and learn.

Cheers

Mary

Picture of Mike Churchward
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Mary -

Sorry for all the confusion. There is some incorrect information floating around here, arising from the diagnosis activities. During the diagnosis, we suggested that code errors were one of the possible problems. But our theme guru had looked at that and ruled it out.

We have since diagnosed it as permissions problems on the theme subdirectories in the moodledata structure and fixed it.

mike

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Ray Waller

I will concur! The theme is working, directories are accessible and updateable. It's a beautiful thing when we can all come together!

approve  Major props and respect to RL for taking ownership!

It's only an avatar...

cheers

Cheers all round then!

WE heart RL