New Block - User Progress

New Block - User Progress

by Norberto Bezi -
Number of replies: 9

This simple block shows to users all his enroled courses and a % of his progress.

The block counts all mods in courses, then count how many was visited by user. Then shows to the user his progress.

I will copy&paste block output, no time to take screen shots:

"Excel XP Básico - DEMO (G010) [7%]

Internet - DEMO (G010) [53%]

Sensibilización Medioambiental - DEMO (G010) [12%]

Total [23%]"

The block has a config page, use it faster load with admin users.

Try it,

Please, feed back bugs, ideas or comments.

N.Bezi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Norberto Bezi

Re: New Block - User Progress

by Darren Smith -

I was so looking forward to trying this but could not get it to work.

Seemed fine on install and I get the message 'nothing to see here for admins' in thenblock but when I 'log in as..' a student it just hangs that course page for ages and ages sad

I tried it in a couple of courses logging in as different students.

Have I done something wrong or have others had the same problem?

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

Re: New Block - User Progress

by Norberto Bezi -

Hi Darren,

I think this block to use it in homepage, and show all courses enroled progress... I will try make it only for individual courses to, give some time ;)

About speed, this block make several number data connections, so, if you try to use it with all courses (more them 5 a think) it will become slow...

The message you get with admin users is in the config form of block, you can change there if you want see progress block with admin user or not.

And, this block is coded in 1.4.* moodle, if you are trying to used it in 1.5 doesnt work.

N.Bezi

Re: New Block - User Progress: I like it

by Bryan Williams -
Norberto,

This simple block of yours has some promise, and seems to work fine on my test server. It is displaying progress however for all courses that a user is enrolled in when placed within a specific course. Not sure this is a good idea. If you can make this block an independent object within a course where it will display just that courses progress, that would be better.

Also, how are you defining progress? Here is what I would like to see as a rule for progress, and invite comments from others:
1. Within an admin settings screen for the block the course creator can define an approximate "seat time" value for different activities.
2. Progress is calculated from Logs when a click to a new activity is entered. This click signifies the end of the previous activity, giving an appoximation of total seat time viewing of the activity.
3. Percentage of Progress is calculated from Logs against the total seat time value assigned.

Just some thoughts.... keep up the good work!
In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: New Block - User Progress: I like it

by Norberto Bezi -

Hi Bryan,

I don't like to touch tables structure to add columns, like 'seat time', or you think another option to add this info ? (I allready touch some tables and it makes very difficult updates and instalations).

I think this suggestion is very nice, but must be in other moodle version, 1.5 maybe or 1.6.

About show only information of current course, this can be done, like a said to Darren, just give me some time ;)

In fact, I want to do an progress stats page, of all students, by courses, for admins and teachers, so with a fast look they will know where is everybody. A client of my company asks about this stat, and I think interest make the code in a block first, so give the progress to users to.ç

Something like that:

Windows XP:

J. S. : 30%

W. T.: 40%

etc...

Thanks a lot the suggestions and I hope get more ;)

N.Bezi

UPDATE ! Independent Courses

by Norberto Bezi -

Hi all,

Now you can use this block in all courses, and, in homepage will shoow all enroles courses, and in courses will show only current course progress.

Feed Back please,

N.Bezi

Re: UPDATE ! Independent Courses

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Norberto,

These are just some comments about tracking user progress:
I think that user progress is a much needed addition to Moodle, however, I'm not sure another block is the way to do it. In 1.5, the user profile page has been expanded to include tabs. Having a My Progress tab with links to each enrolled course that shows progress might be better.

As for progress, I don't think that just going by page views is very relevant. Have you seen some of the other discussions about progress tracking?
For example, see the demo of a new Moodle version that includes marking:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=21984 .  It would be great if progress were "marked" either by the student, for example in the case of a resource, automatically, for example in the case of taking a poll or quiz, or by the teacher, for example in the case of an assignment.  These "marked" activities could then be converted into your % progress for an admin view.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Bryan Williams -
Hi Norberto,

I think Chardelle's summary of what a Progress feature should report is right on the mark. Ideally, this would be in the user profile page and have well defined rules for what constitutes progress, with the feature of allowing both student and teacher to mark activity.

by Norberto Bezi -

In 1.4.* is very dificult built in this system you are telling me.

Requires some heavy code... and doing this kind of changes you open your moodle out of moodle porject. I hope I was clear. When I finish study 1.5 code, with all new features I will think to improve it. I'm still working on 1.4 to run our platform. (I should start has soon has possible ;) )

Another note, this "progress" block shows to user how much of the course he see, not the quality of his work. You never must use this information for evaluation purposes or to keep a track of user development, you must use the specific tools to measure that (quiz, questionary, assigment, etc).

I think the really "progress-meter" is the notes, if a student finish a lesson without aprove any evalution or finish any kind of assigment... his progress is really poor... so, the block I made is to know in what point the stundents are.

I'm not a teacher... I'm a coder giving some opinion and trying to tell you the reasons my boses ask me this code, and I'm sure this comments will sound naive.

(sorry my english)

bstrgds

N.Bezi