White screen in questionnaires

White screen in questionnaires

by Chris Baldwin -
Number of replies: 14

Hi all

Bit of an odd one - we've got multiple installations  - currently 2.2 - & a couple of days ago all (or at least lots of) the questionnaires stopped working & gave a white screen. This was across different installations. The problem seemed to fix itself soon after, but I'd like to know what caused it.

Anyone else have that happen? The same questionnaires had been working fine before & are fine now.

Thanks

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Baldwin

Re: White screen in questionnaires

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Chris,

It is of course impossible for us to diagnose that kind of problem. Intermittent problems are notoriously difficult to solve.sad

All I can say is that whenever you get a "blank page" in Moodle you should switch to debug mode in order to display the potential error messages.

ATB

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Chris Baldwin -

The good news is that we no longer have an intermittent problem. The bad news is that we have a permanent problem - all questionnaires just lead to a white screen.

Anyone else had this problem?

We're using M2.2 with the latest version of the questionnaire plugin.

Thanks

Chris

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

"All I can say is that whenever you get a "blank page" in Moodle you should switch to debug mode in order to display the potential error messages."

Have you done that? Are you getting any error messages instead of a blank page?

Joseph

by Chris Baldwin -

For future ref, this is the issue we had:

It was an issue with Moodle and PHP Caching on the server. It seemed that in particular that one page of the Questionnaire module (view.php) when cached for a particular period of time was then not displaying the full page but only part of it.

So for example, when we looked at the page early morning UK time, refreshed cache, then this worked ok when testing from anywhere. But as the day went on and the page was then cached and was being read again and again from the cache, at some point it then only displayed part of the file.

Solution:

We have taken this caching off now for the server so that it doesn't affect any of the sites.

Hope that could be useful to someone in the future. I'm still interested to know why this happened.

Chris

by Kees Koopman -

I have this "white screen"-problem too.

Kees Koopman.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Joseph Rézeau -

"All I can say is that whenever you get a "blank page" in Moodle you should switch to debug mode in order to display the potential error messages."

Have you done that? Are you getting any error messages instead of a blank page?

Joseph

by Kees Koopman -

Hello Joseph,

You are right. Sorry. The errormessage is the following (in more courses on our Moodlesite):

Fatal error: Class 'questionnaire' not found in /home/elo.ja.nl/www/mod/questionnaire/view.php on line 80

We use Moodle 2.4.

Thanks for your help!

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Kees,

I really don't know why you should get that error. Could you try to un-install and re-install the Questionnaire plugin on your moodle site? Are you sure you have the latest available version of Questionnaire for your Moodle 2.4 (at the moment, the latest version of Questionnaire is 2.3, but it will work on a moodle 2.4 site).

Joseph

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Joseph,
Thanks for your quick feedback.
Un- en re-install is on this moment not possible; we don't host our own Moodle. We have the latest version of Questionnaire. On this moment we are looking at the serverlogfiles to look if there happens something unexpected.

Hi Chris,
How did you discover / why do you think that it was a php-caching-problem?

Kees.

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Joseph,

When I try to add the activitity Questionnaire to a course from scratch then I get the error:

Fatal error: Class 'questionnaire' not found in /home/elo.ja.nl/www/mod/questionnaire/mod_form.php on line 33

HTH

Kees

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Joseph,

The errormessages come from this lines:

View.php regel 80
$questionnaire = new questionnaire(0, $questionnaire, $course, $cm);

Mod_form.php regel 33
$questionnaire = new questionnaire($this->_instance, null, $COURSE, $this->_cm);

What does this actions do? Can this conflict with i.e. php-caching?

Kees.

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Chris Baldwin -

Hi Kees

We cleared the cache & the problem disappeared, only to return later. Turning off caching shad fixed the problem for us. We also tried re-installing the plugin but it didn't help. 

chris

by Sebastian Berm -

Hi Chis,

What kind of caching were you using, and which version?

I'm specifically interested in anyone experiencing these issues (with caching enabled) and having the issues disappear when caching is disabled.

Thank you,

Sebastian (one of the people from the hosting tech team of Kees)

In reply to Sebastian Berm

by Kees Koopman -

Hello Chris,

We have sometimes problems with Questionairre, sometimes we don't have troubles for a longer time.We have cached Moodle.

Is it possible that a restart of the server cause this trouble.

Last time we had no problems for a long time.
A "restart" (say: "soft reset") of the Apacheserver brought the problems back.
Sh*t.

When we "stop" te server and then "start" it again (say: "a hard reset of the server") the problems seems to stay away.

Is this a hint to a solution?

Thanks,

Kees.