Courses and course formats

Picture of Kirsten Finger
Limit Course Access for Individual Students?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is something that is possible to do or not.... I have a course that currently has 4 topics.  Topics 3 & 4 are dependent upon completion of Topics 1 & 2, so each students needs to complete the first half in order to access the second half.  We taking ongoing rolling enrolments so we don't need to monitor or manage where a student is up to for their completion and they can go at their own pace.  As soon as both the first topics are completed, the next ones become available.  What I want to do is allow a student to make a 50% payment, and have access to the first half, which is easy done with the way it is currently set up, but I want the second half of the course to not become automatically accessible without my permitting it once the other 50% course fee is received.  Is it possible to do this for just one individual student?  Or will I just need to monitor her progress, then discontinue her course access manually once she has completed the first two modules?

Thanks in advance,

Kirsten

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marina Glancy
Re: Limit Course Access for Individual Students?
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm pretty sure you can add conditional availability rule of user name not equal to her name and remove this when she pays

Thanks Marina, could you possibly explain this a little further?  Would I add the condition to her user profile or to the course itself?  And would that just be done in the topic settings if I add it to the course itself?  I am a self-taught moodler so am still learning some of the ins and outs of processes...

Thanks, Kirsten

Picture of Marina Glancy

Hi Kristen, this is the link to the doc

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Conditional_user_fields

Hi Marina,

Thank you again for the link.  I have been through the link, and many of the recommended pages, but I am unable to see where I would 'enable' conditional activities for me to be able to restrict access based on user information.  I have completion tracking enable, and I have already got the majority of the course run using conditions of grades received and activity completion etc., but I don't seem to have the drop down boxes that link shows where you can restrict access by user information or user profile fields.  Is there something else I need to enable somewhere for this to work?

Kirsten

Picture of Marina Glancy

Hi Kristen,

the instruction how to enable was on the linked page http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Conditional_activities_settings :

To use conditional activities, the feature must be enabled by an administrator by checking the enable availability box in Settings > Site administration > Advanced features. A restrict access section will then appear for teachers on the edit activity page.