General plugins

New name for contributed plugins: Add-ons

Mary Cooch
Re: New name for contributed plugins: Add-ons
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

"I am on the train" as they say( in a loud voice) on the way back from BETT.  I also like the term "add on"  very much. smileI'll take a look in the docs too and see if I can spot any changes that need doing.

Average of ratings: -
Gareth J Barnard
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, to get this right smile

A moodle 'plug-in' is a 'plug-in' because it's included in the standard download and a non standard download 'plug-in' is a 'add-on' until it becomes a part of the standard download when it becomes an 'plug-in'.  But I've been told on chat that 'https://moodle.org/plugins/' will stay as 'https://moodle.org/plugins/' as it says 'WELCOME to our Plugins directory of add-ons for Moodle!'  but does it contain any standard download 'plug-ins'?  If not then it should be the 'add-ons' directory to avoid user confusion and ease documentation / training etc. ambiguity?

I think I like the name 'add-on' as 'plug-in' depicts something that you shove into the wall and flick a switch to turn on.  And it's more familiar to users as things they want as extras to their new product.

Cheers,

Gareth

MD shot of me from his iphone4
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Testers

Hi Gareth,

The issue here is that an Add-on on (at a around say moodle 2.0) can possibly become included as a standard plugin and distributed with core in a future moodle version (say moodle 2.5). 

When that happens a generic reference to the plugin across moodle version will be 'plugin' as it was add-on for some moodle versions but standard for some. They can also in future possibly be removed from the standard distribution. I think this is the reason why its still called the Plugins directory.

Hm, perhaps the welcome message could be made a simpler or clearer.

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Gareth,

I have amended the plugins directory description so that it now reads:

WELCOME to our Moodle plugins directory!

A plugin may be either a standard plugin (included in the Moodle download package) or an add-on.

Is that better?

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Better, but to make it really true, someone ought to add all the standard plugins to the database.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Alternatively, we could add further explanatory text:

Standard plugins are not generally included in the plugins directory, apart from any which started life as an add-on and were then added as a standard plugin to a later version of Moodle.

(The book module is an example of this.)

Gareth J Barnard
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, using the 'Book' and 'Drag and Drop' as examples where their timeline would have been as an 'Add-on' for several releases and available in the database.  Then when it is made a part of the standard distribution it is still an 'Add-on' and the older releases are in the database.  Then a notice is placed on it's entry that since release X that it is included in the standard distribution.  An example of this happening is Davo Smith's drag and drop - https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_dndupload - where he states "It should not be installed on a Moodle 2.3 site as it will clash with the built-in drag and drop upload.".

Therefore to avoid confusion how about renaming everything that is a plugin, standard distribution or 'contrib' to being an 'Add-on'.  Thereby keeping it simple and easy for users to remember and say 'Moodle is great as it is so intuitive' - less is more smile

I think this solves Aparup's described situation too.  And as 'Add-ons' are listed on the 'Plugin's' adminstration menu regardless of where they came from.

Cheers,

Gareth

Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Testers

Thanks for highlighting the fact that its not clear if its standard or Add-on sometimes. I've created MDLSITE-2153 to look into indicating this on a plugin.

yes agreed! standard ones may be deleted from an installation so this would help.