What is the difference between a rubric and a marking guide

What is the difference between a rubric and a marking guide

by Dr Jocasta Collier -
Number of replies: 5

I need to explain this to a group of university lecturers and I am not sure how best to describe it.

many thanks in advance for your help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr Jocasta Collier

Re: What is the difference between a rubric and a marking guide

by Doug Moody -

I am not saying that I am an authority, but the best way I can describe it is this:

A rubric is for teacher AND student use, and is mandatory and concrete. For example, a rubric tells you that if you have x number of criteria, you get a A, but if you don't, you get another grade. It is quantitative and inflexible. You either have it or you don't.

A marking guide is more for the use of the teacher who is looking for concepts. But those concepts are not set in stone. An example would be writing a poem. A marking guide would be looking for whether the words rhyme and if they have, say, iambic pantameter. But rhyming is very subjective and is more a part of the cretive process. I don't think there is much room for creativity or personal expression in rubrics, but marking guides are just that - guides!

Does that help? 

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not sure if Doug realised you mean the advanced grading methods in 2.3

These might help:
http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Marking_guide
http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Rubrics

The main difference is that when the teacher is grading, Marking guide lets you enter a number as the grade for a criterion - Rubric has preset levels for each criterion that the teacher can select from when marking that criterion.

Marking guide also lets you build a set of frequently used comments to use when marking.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dr Jocasta Collier -

Thank you very very much - That was really helpful - much appeciated!

In reply to Doug Moody

by Dr Jocasta Collier -

Thank you that was a fantastic help - very much appreciated!