Face to Face - Manager approval error

Face to Face - Manager approval error

by Mia Musolino -
Number of replies: 9

My questions are piling up -- maybe I have obscure problems?!

Here's my latest: I set up a face to face to have manager approval. student, teacher, and authenticated user all have permission to view face to face sessions. However, when any user other than me or the other admin click on the link in the manager approval email, they get the message

Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View)

I have tried every combination of the permissions for student and authenticated user. I would prefer that student and auth user NOT see all attendees in the course, but I've even tried that (as well as view cancellations) and it makes no difference. Can someone help???

Thanks in advance,

Mia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mia Musolino

Re: Face to Face - Manager approval error

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Mia,

Currently the permissions checks on the attendees page (which does the manager approval) is checked at the course context. Which context do you have the permissions set at?

Cheers,
Alastair

In reply to Alastair Munro

by Mia Musolino -

thanks -- the approvals are still not working and permissions for student, teacher, and auth user all have face to face view permission for the course as well as the face to face session itself. When they click on the link in the email to approve, they get the login page, then log in, then they get the error about not being allowed to see the page. Still working on this, but I'm not sure what else to try.

The situation is that the managers who need to approve session registrations are generally not actually enrolled in the course and they probably just have the Student role throughout the system. Users who are course creators or managers can view the attendees and approve registrations, but that is not a good scenario for us -- approving managers are probably just going to have the student role, as I said.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Mia Musolino -

update -- sorry, meant to say that the managers who need to approve sessions might be students in another course but might just have authenticated user role. Users who are course creators or managers can view the attendees and approve registrations, but that is not a good scenario for us -- approving managers are probably just going to have the authenticated user or student role, as I said.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Alastair Munro -

Hi Mia,

A way around this might be to create another role then give that role extra permissions. Then assign that role to the managers who need to do approval at the course level.

Cheers,
Alastair

In reply to Alastair Munro

by Mia Musolino -

What would be the extra permission? We would have to give the permission to authenticated user, as there are too many users who might need to approve. The security would need to be that if they get the link, they can approve even if they are only authenticated users. They might not / probably will not have roles at the course level, though, which if I'm understanding you correctly could be a big problem.

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Pauline Dumont -

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as Mia (using Moodle 2.4).
Did you manage to find any solution?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Pauline

In reply to Pauline Dumont

by Mia Musolino -

Hi Pauline - never found a work around to this, so we have done some local customizations to face to face to get it to work like we want it to. They are quite extensive customizations, but at some point I would like to talk to Alastair about incorporating the changes into the standard face to face plug in. I know that before he can do that I need to write something up on what the customizations are. Basically we changed it to do this:

Learner signs up and specifies his/her manager email address on sign up page.

Email for approval goes to manager's email address with link for approval. Whoever gets that email (even if it's forwarded) can click on the link and goes to a special approval page after loggin into Moodle. The manager can then approve.

We also added a second approval level for courses that have a cost. For those courses, the manager supplies a "fund manager" email address and an approval email goes to that email address and the fund manager then has an approval link that works the same way as the manager approval link.

We have also made some other customizations to fit our needs, but I think most/all of them would be very helpful to other face to face users. We are very busy right now, but I will try to find some time to get a document to Alastair and see if he would be willing / able to incorporate our code into a future face to face version.

Mia

In reply to Mia Musolino

by Pauline Dumont -

Hi Mia,

thanks for your answer.

Your solution seems great, and it would definitely be worth being integrated in a future release of the Face 2 face plugin!

Indeed, for the moment, the approval functionality requires all the people managers to have the (moodle) 'Manager' role or any 'Teacher' role in all courses, which cannot be.

As a workaround, I am trying to set up a new 'Approver' role, based on the 'Student' role, that would allow people with the link to approve the student's enrolment. We will then need to identify all the possible people managers, grant them the role, and adapt the enrolment approval notification so that it advises to contact the Training Center ('Manager' role) and ask for the approver role if the link does not work for him.

I can see that you evoked that solution earlier in the conversation.
Would you or anyone be able to give me some guidance on the capabilities to enable to make this new role do its job?

Thanks again!

Pauline

In reply to Pauline Dumont

by Pauline Dumont -

I found it!
The new approver role I have created is defined in the system and course contexts and only has 2 authorized capabilities:

- mod/facetoface:takeattendance
- moodle/course:view

If this can help others, until the F2F plugin is updated...