Hi Great Moodle Team,
We've been suffering from what I think must be spider/bot attacks. I'll find apache/httpd processes in TOP running in the upper 90's or 100% CPU. Under normal conditions I never see anything like such high usage. After a while, these processes grind the server to a halt. If I just kill the processes, everything runs great - til they come back. It was beginning to be an every day occurance.
I did the usual robots.txt file, but it requires maintenance and not everyone respects it.
Soooo... I set up a routine in cron that runs every coupe of minutes and pipes a 'top' output to a php script that looks for apache/httpd processes over 90% and kills them and logs the event.
Been running great ever since Chris