Hotpot (add-on)

Picture of Larry Lueck
HotPot shows abandoned quiz

I have a staff member that wrote me the following email - "I just had a kid taking a quiz and his quiz stopped in the middle and he got a message saying he abandoned."

When I asked further, she said that there were no recorded attempts in the gradebook after a student is kicked off of the quiz.  

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Gordon Bateson
Re: HotPot shows abandoned quiz
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

I see, well there's lots of important information you haven't given us, so it's hard to say why the quiz stopped or why there are no recorded attempts in the gradebook.

If I were you I would try and reproduce the problem yourself, or get the teacher to explain to you how to reproduce the problem. If you can then explain what kind of Hot Potatoes exercise it is, and what settings are being used when the student takes the quiz, then there is a better chance of analyzing why the unexpected behavior is occurring.

You might like to try adding the quiz to one of the Moodle sites on my test server, so that we can look at it together:

Picture of Larry Lueck

Thanks, Gordon.  I did upload two of the HotPot quizes to the site you referenced in topic 5.  If you could look at them and see if you run into the same issue, I would be very appreciative.  

The teacher wrote this with the two files that I uploaded - 

"I had 2 students time out today on a short 12 question quiz.  Both of the files I’ve attached are ones where kids registered “abandoned” despite finishing.  1 of the kids the quiz just shut down."

I have also added two clips of the settings that the teacher has for the Chapter 8 study guide that I posted to your Moodle.  

Picture of Larry Lueck

Second clip of settings.

Picture of Gordon Bateson
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Larry,
I tried the quiz and completed it successfully (see screenshot) so there is no fundamental problem with the quiz or the HotPot module.

> I had 2 students time out today on a short 12 question quiz.

This statement indicates the teacher has put a time limit on the quiz. Is that the case?

Also, do I understand correctly that all the other students in the class were able to complete the quiz successfully? How many completed it successfully?

I suggest the students who had problems are asked to do the quiz again, this time with the teacher standing by watching what they click.

Gordon

G. Grow

This might happen if the quiz is set to permit only one attempt and the student leaves the quiz window, goes to a different window, and returns.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)