Behavior of questions

Behavior of questions

by B Shivaram -
Number of replies: 5

This issue probably has been raised before and there already is an answer - but I have not been able to locate any.  So here is my question.

I am aware that there are many settings for how questions behave in the Moodle core quiz. However, what I need seems to be absent. Given that so many possibilities are built into Moodle Quiz this is surprising.

Here is what I am trying to achieve: I have problems in physics for which students provide a numerical answer and the answer depends on variables in the problem (calculated question type). Let us say there are 10 problems. I would like to give 10 trials to students to provide the correct answer to each problem within one week. I have created a quiz where all 10 problems appear on one page and have given "10 attempts" for the quiz. But students partially complete the quiz, go away, come back and attempt again. That is OK but the problem is that the correct answers they provided do not appear or show up in their next attempt. Also the numbers in the problem already solved change on the second attempt. How can I give them 10 trials "per question", tell them if they are wrong "per question" and save their answers for them to see "permanently" - as slong as the quiz is open and even after it is closed, if they are right?

Thank you for helping me out.

Bellave Shivaram

Average of ratings: -
In reply to B Shivaram

Re: Behavior of questions

by B Shivaram -

Right now the solution I have implemented is to create a separate quiz for each question and allow 10 attempts for each quiz/question.  But this hardly seems like an elegant method.

In reply to B Shivaram

by Paul Ledet -

Hi.  I haven't tried this yet but as I was prepping my quizzes for the first time (yesterday) I came across the following when I clicked on edit settings, and the scrolled down the page to... (see further below)

Check out Review options.  Is this what you want?  Good luck.  Perhaps you can answer my question in the post previous to yours?

In reply to B Shivaram

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As Paul says, the Each attempt builds on last setting is close to what you want (and there are open feature requests to make it more like what you want).

In reply to B Shivaram

by Ian Hunt -

In addition to the other posts, I would suggest changing the format so that each question is on a new page, that way when a student enters work it will be saved as they navigate question to question.

In reply to Ian Hunt

by B Shivaram -

Thanks Ian and Tim and Paul.  Will try that and await further new features on this line.

PS:  Dont have any good ideas for Paul but see my 2 cent reply in his post.