General help

Picture of tim wilde
Audio file has no sound - but not all the time

Hi All,

Moodle version 2.4.1+
$version  = 2012120301.02;
$release  = '2.4.1+ (Build: 20130118)

We are encountering a very strange problem with audio files (mp3).

If we link or insert an audio (mp3) AND video (flv) file into the same Moodle page, sometimes there is no sound on the audio file. The video file is always fine.

The files are currently uploaded on our server and are set as links in the web page, as opposed to using the “insert media” option of the editor

An example of this is on our test site here http://smart.perceptiveits.com.au/mod/page/view.php?id=274

My findings so far are as follows;

1.The sound may work initially and then we lose it after refresh or if it is opened in more than one browser

2. If we refresh/close down the browser the sound may come back.

3. I have tried adding the files as links (as they are now) and inserting them as media using the editor and we still encounter the same problem

4. If I remove the video file all is OK with the sound file- consistently. i.e we have sound back on the audio file

The files can be downloaded from here

TestVideo.flv

Any idea/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of tim wilde
Re: Audio file has no sound - but not all the time

Hi All,

I have linked the same files to another test site on the same server, but this site uses a differenet version of Moodle;

$release  = '2.2.6+ (Build: 20121116)';
$version  = 2011120506.01;

On this site they play fine, which may indicate a problem with the latest software???

Site is here

http://sli.perceptiveits.com.au/mod/page/view.php?id=2245

I am unable to roll the software back as the database has been updated.

Any help/pointers would be appreciated

Thanks

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tim

Try setting your text cache lifetime to "No" in the Site Administration -> plugins -> filters -> Common Filter Settings

Sometimes the filter caching can mess things up. It is more noticeable in Moodle 2.4 after some caching changes came in.

Justin

Picture of tim wilde

Thanks for this Justin,

I have set the cache lifetime to "no" as instructed above and purged all caches, but unfortunately I am still experiencing the same problems!

We are currently testing Dewplayer (http://www.alsacreations.fr/dewplayer.html)

This appears to work without any problems. I hope that this may give you a clue to the problem.

Tim

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Oh, I was pretty sure that was the problem, because we had almost the same situation. The way it clears up after a refresh and is an issue on 2.4, look like it too.

Is the problem consistent across different browsers? And do you have any 3rd party plugins installed that might be causing problems?

Justin