Changes to course listings in 2.5

Re: Changes to course listings in 2.5

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Marina and Tim,

I could be wrong about my assumption as it's how I perceive things at the moment from a functional design point of view.

I agree with Tim with the format_renderer_base still being abstract.

Understanding this from an OO / Java / C++ background perspective I would think that the theme would want to override certain functionality and a course format another.  If you have the structure:

format_renderer_base -> format_renderer_course_format_overrides -> format_renderer_theme_overrides

Because the theme wants to override some of what the course format is doing then you would need a class for each course format you wanted to support unless PHP supports multiple inheritence (nasty).

But as I understand it with what Tim is saying you would have:

plugin_renderer_base -> core_course_commonbits_renderer(abstract) -> format_renderer_base(abstract) -> format_renderer_course_format_overrides

and

plugin_renderer_base -> core_course_commonbits_renderer(abstract) -> theme_renderer_base(abstract) -> theme_renderer_theme_overrides

Such that the theme and the course format can perform overrides.  But what happens when there is a conflict?  Should themes and course formats do the same thing or should there be a distinction in functionality of responsibility?  Such that a theme does specific things and a course format does other specific things and never the twain shall meet.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is not what I am saying.

theme_renderer_base does not subclass core_course_commonbits_renderer.

"Prefer aggregation over inheritance."

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Tim,

So if both the theme and the course format both aggregate core_course_commonbits_renderer in their abstract base classes how does the theme override any method that the course format does?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am wondering what sort of OO / Java / C++ knowledge you acutally have. You are not understanding what I say, and I am not in the mood to explain at greater length now.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Tim,

Perhaps I am not explaining myself, so I have drawn a class digram - attached.

Kind regards,

Gareth

Attachment th.png

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The only way to keep this discussion from going belly up is to do what Marina says and test the course format renderers, and if they are found to be flawed then file it as a BUG in Moodle Tracker.

I'm too tired to read, and not knowledgeable enough about renderers to comment, although I have discovered a wonderful way to include plugin renderers in themes thanks to Tim, so I guess he knows what he is talking about. smile

Have a nice weekend everyone. Please don't spend it renderers! bah humbug!

Don't worry be happy! cheers

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Tim Hunt -

Well, they say a picture is worth 1000 words, and your picture certainly qualifies. It is exactly right. Sorry I failed to understand what you were saying before.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Tim,

No worries smile - just goes to show why class, object interaction, state transition diagrams... exist to describe the form and function of software.

Cheers,

Gareth