Install moodle 2.4.1 on 1and1

Install moodle 2.4.1 on 1and1

by Jeremie Coste -
Number of replies: 16

Hi,

I try to install moodle 2.4.1 on 1and1 (france).

Well here is the Server Checks I Got: (serverchecks screenshot below)

1. It is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).

My Collation database is already Unicode UTF-8. Do you know where else I have to present this information?

2. The xmlrpc extension is needed for hub communication, and useful for web services and Moodle networking

When I test with a phinfo() it seems that Xml-Rpc is enable. (see the ScreenShot phpinfo xml rpc below)

Any way I have added this line "extension=php_xmlrpc.so" to a minimal php.ini file but it seems that th Server checks don't care. HAve you any advise to setting up the xml rpc ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Reagrds 

Jérémie

Attachment phpinfo xml rpc.png
Attachment serverchecks.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremie Coste

Re: Install moodle 2.4.1 on 1and1

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Firstly, I noticed you had posted the same question twice. Please do not do that. I deleted the other one.

How did you create your database? It *must* be created as default UTF8. It is more than likely (assuming you are using a web interface) that you missed that option.

Why not ask 1and1 support how to enable xmlrpc. However, I don't think it will stop your install (the database problem will).

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jeremie Coste -

Hi, thanks for your answer

I apolojize for the two posts !

Even if I have created the DB with utf8  I have to use a sql command to force the default collation

Thanks for your help

In reply to Jeremie Coste

by Sarah Quantick -

I am having the same problem how did you overcome it?

In reply to Sarah Quantick

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You need the equivalent of: CREATE DATABASE yourdbname DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;
In reply to Howard Miller

by Claus Steiger -

Since I have the same problem with the php_extension xmlrpc in the German 1&1 server (Moodle 2.4.3+), I am wondering how you have solved the php_extension problem. I have asked the 1&1 support and the recommended a php.ini file with the following content extension=php_xmlrpc.so. I have added this file to the moodle root directory and all first sub-directories (not within the sub-directories of the sub-directories...), but still get the same error message. Do you have any recommendation? Thank you!

In reply to Claus Steiger

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Claus ...

1and1 might do it different, but don't think so.

In php.ini to load an extension one just adds a line in the appropriate section like this:

extension=xmlrpc.so

In .htaccess (what you show), there's a difference.  In an .htaccess file one would use:

php_extension xmlrpc.so

Also, another difference ... edits to php.ini *require* restart of apache while additions to an .htacess file does not.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Claus Steiger -

Dear Ken,

Thanks a lot for your help. I have no access to the overall php.ini of the 1&1 server. I have therefore just created an own php.ini with the content extension=php_xmlrpc.so recommended by 1&1 (and not as you write extension=xmlrpc.so). But I do not know whether this difference is important. With regard to .htaccess: I have not found any .htaccess file in the moodle directories. Would it be possible to add a .htaccess just containing the line php_extension xmlrpc.so or php_extension php_xmlrpc.so or php_extension=php_xmlrpc.so?

Thanks,
Claus

by Ken Task -

php.ini files can be used to change/override main (for system) config file. ** But not all php directives can be used in such a file. 

http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php

You may not have an .htaccess file in your web space.  It is, however, a way to get php to load extensions and other additions to configuration of apache ... like loading a php module (IF 1and1 allows).

However, we are talking about what your provider has told you which I assume is the same as:

http://faq.1and1.co.uk/scripting/php/8.html

and

http://faq.1and1.co.uk/scripting/htaccess/index.html

Suggest, after viewing 1and1's FAQs, you contact 1and1 and ask for verification of what they sent originally.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Dave Emsley -

This is very interesting as my provider is 1and1 in the UK and I get past the checking for the server environment.  See my thread for other problems though ;-(

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Ken Task -

So this issue:

"Since I have the same problem with the php_extension xmlrpc in the German 1&1 server (Moodle 2.4.3+), I am wondering how you have solved the php_extension problem. I have asked the 1&1 support and the recommended a php.ini file with the following content extension=php_xmlrpc.so. I have added this file to the moodle root directory and all first sub-directories (not within the sub-directories of the sub-directories...), but still get the same error message. Do you have any recommendation? Thank you!"

has been resolved?

Might I suggest providing at least one link to your latest issue in the future?  Sure makes it harder for someone willing to help if they have to search for them.

And, rather than piggy-backing on another posting ... similar issue or not ... posting a message of your own.  Can reference the other, if you like.

Since you are remotely hosted, strongly suggest making it a habit to check the providers FAQ's/docs first.  Feel free to share what tech support of that system has told you.  And consider that IF the provider has a 'easy install' button/form that it is quite possible there is nothing wrong with Moodle 'typical' installations, but rather something the provider hasn't done/did do, etc..  in which case, it's the provider that should be providing detailed support - including an FAQ/doc etc. for customers.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Claus Steiger -

1&1 support told me that it would be enough to place just one php.ini file with the following content in the root directory of moodle:extension=php_xmlrpc.so

A restart of the apache server would not be necessary in order to activate the required php-extension. But when I run the server check, I still receive the status message that the php_extension xmlrpc should be installed and activated.

Therefore I tried your recommandation using a .htaccess file (after having read the two links provided in your last posting). But the result was the following error message:

"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

So the problem is not solved and I do not know what else to try to get moodle running...

by Ken Task -

@ Claus

I'll say this much ... you are persistent! ;)

That extension is not required but recommended.  However ...

Could it be that tech support made a mistake?

Reason I suggest that ... in a standalone CentOS 5 server, the extensions directory (loadable modules) is in /usr/lib64/php/modules/

The extension in question is this one:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   76024 Jun 27  2012 xmlrpc.so

So am wondering *if* extension=php_xmlrpc.so should be:

extension=xmlrpc.so

* NO php_ in front.

In reading over their docs, see that they have several packages available. Which one do you have?  And does that package you purchased provide all you need to run 2.4?  The other links to 1and1 customers who shared their how-2 for Moodle ... did you read them?

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/1and1_MySQL_installation

"Just as a note. After installing Moodle 1.9.11 I tried Moodle 2.0.2 without much success. After messing around with the Unicode settings in the database I got the installation to run to a point where it apparently ran out of RAM (memory allocation error). I just accessed the site after that and it seemed to work, I was able to set up the admin account. But after that I kept trying things that would result in blank pages. So I reverted to 1.9. 2.0 is pretty slick and I run it at work, but I would rather have a working system than 'slick'."

Am wondering about their PHP set up for customers (package dependent am sure).

Here's what they say to do:

http://help.1and1.com/hosting-c37630/linux-c85098/php-c37728/checking-php-settings-on-the-server-a595886.html

and

http://www.1and1php.com/phpinfo.php6

Is your package reading the local php.ini file ... the phpinfo file (above) should/would show which php.ini it's reading.

Anyone else on this system host with 1and1 who has successfully installed 2.4.x feel free to jump in here and help! 

Me, am bumping as I don't host with 1and1 (and from what I see, glad I don't) and I can't do any more than Google and attempt to interpret.

Perhaps you should request 1and1 fix it! Best of luck! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Claus Steiger -

Dear Ken,

I do not want to be persistent. I am just providing feedback with regard to your friendly recommendations and links, since I have to decide where and at what costs to install and/or to host our Moodle system. If the installation is not feasable without being a webadmin and an expert in how to (re-)configure the php environment of the server, it might be necessary to host the system commercially.

I have tried all of your recommendations:

I have run the info.php file with the result that my php.ini is only read when it is located in the same directory as the info.php file. Therefore, I have located the php.ini in the moodle root directory and for testing purposes in the moodle/admin directory.

I have tried all of the following syntaxes:extension=php_xmlrpc.so
php_extension=xmlrpc.so
extension=xmlrpc.so

None of them was succesfull. I still get the error message that the php-extension xmlrpc is missing.

You state that this extension is not required, but only recommended. I have serious problems with my current Moodle installation and since the only problem documented by the system consists in this missing php-extension, I thought that the problems in my current setting might disappear when I solve the "php-extension" problem.

My problems are:

- logos, icons, images are not displayed- I cannot access the website administration, since this appears as text, but not as a link in the left border
- If I open the direct URL (e.g. theme/index.php) of the respective item of the website administration, I can select for instance a theme (e.g. FormFactor), but the theme selected does only appear when I access the page with IE (version 8), but not when using FireFox (version 20.0.1) nor SeaMonkey (version 2.17).- When I login with IE, I receive the following error message in the status line of the browser (not within the moodle screen): 'M.util' ist Null oder kein Objekt ('M.util' is null or no object)

I try to solve these problems and the only problem documented by moodle itself is the missing php-extension xmlrpc. Therefore, I try to solve this problem hoping that once solved this problem, my serious problems might also be solved...

Thank you, Ken, and anybody else who may help with any recommendation.

Claus

by Carl Durose -

Hi,

I realise that this post is 12 months old but I seem to be having the same issue and was wondering if a solution was ever found?

Basically I need to enable xmlrpc through *cough* 1and1 *cough* and am also having issues with icons.

In reply to Carl Durose

by Dave Emsley -

I had this issus with 1and1 and they will not install the xmlrpc extension as it would require a server restart and this wouldn't be good if you share a server with others.

They're happy to install it on a single or virtual server package which, of course, cost you a shed load more.

NoNo Moodle Networking if you have a cheap package unfortunately.

sadsad

by Armando Rubio -

Hello,

We heve the same problem in other vendor. it was imposible to put php flags in .htaccess file

The vendor don't left override php values

good luke

Armando R.