Quickmail and My Files in moodle 1.5

Quickmail and My Files in moodle 1.5

by Bernard B -
Number of replies: 5

Hi
I hope that the maker(s) of the  blocks Myfiles and Quickmail will have some time and energy to make a version for moodle 1.5.
One of the important feautueres of Moodle is communication and the possibility of sending mail(s) to whole groups of students is an example of that. I wonder why it is not a standart feature of moodle. The block Myfiles am I using as a kind of working place for my students so that I can get an idea of how a product has been made. In my opinion, for a teacher the making process of a product is almost as important as the end product itself especially if the product is made by a group of students-
Thanks in advance for the programmer who will make this work

Edit | Delete | Reply  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard B

Re: Quickmail and My Files in moodle 1.5

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Of course you can mail groups of students in Moodle, that's what standard forums are for.  You can mail to the whole class, to a whole group or a whole site, simply by posting to a forum you've set up for that purpose.

In Moodle 1.5 you can also send messages to individuals privately.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin & Bernard, what quickmail does is let a teacher email (with attachments and history) an ad hoc group of students in a few seconds: they get a screen with the editor, a list of students, and they can check all or check individuals or a set of individuals.

Attachments are sent as regular email attachments, so students don't have to login to get them. One big use here is sending messages about assignments, attendence, etc. to a few select students.

We will be updating it for 1.5, and one idea we were thinking of adding was to enable the teacher the option to send an IM to a selected group of students rather than an email.

MyFiles, we have it working as a central (user based-rather than course based as in the old version) file store now with per user/per course access rights, hopefully more improvements to come in the near future.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
> an ad hoc group of students in a few seconds

Ah, ok, great, I was thinking of this in the new Messaging too. If you want to work on that let me know! I want to focus all messaging work through the new Messaging facility now, because it allows the recipient to choose what format they receive the message in (popup, email, forwarded to ICQ etc)

There's an interesting idea in the bug tracker from years ago about a mode where you can traipse through Moodle, click checkboxes next to people's names in all sorts of areas (eg forums) and they would get stored up in a buffer. Then when you go to messaging the list there is to edit and send to.

But a simple ad-hoc selection tool within Messaging would be good to start with. The interface needs some care to keep it simple.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Martin,
    I did like the idea of PJ of checking checkboxes in "Participants" list and having a button to send either instant message/e-mail to all checked. A similar checkbox could be added to the Groups  lists. I see quite natural to use the "Participants/Group" lists as a king of adressbook from where to dispatch messages.
PJ had a working example, do yo see implementation / functional problems in this approach?

- Enrique -
In reply to Michael Penney

by Bernard B -

Hi Michael and Martin

Thank you Michael, you made my point. I hope to see something like Quickmail and Myfiles soon. This features are part of many commercial EL programms today

Also thanks to Martin of course for your consideration and your Moodle, I am enjoying it very much. It is becoming a hobby.

And Michael, before I forget to ask. Ik would be very gratefull if you would send me the versions for Moodle 1.5 if you have one by mail. Until now I could never find these blocks. Ger Tielemans send then to me by mail