by Irith Herman -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

אפשר הקלדה פונטית

עברית
אנגלית
ערבית
I'm trying to do a backup of the courses moodle1.96
I get stuck when it is  great courses like 360mb.
Smaller course of size about 19mb without users i can the backup  but when I resored it saw that he had come back almost empty , only two activities passes, one of the first week and other onthe fifth week.
I have no idea what to do?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Still have the 1.9 site up and accessible? 

Check /moodledata/temp/backup folder of the 1.9 server for files/folder contents.  That might provide a clue.

Did the 1.9 backups include blocks/mod/ etc. addons that are not in the version 2.3 you are attempting to restore to?

On your 2.3 server ... do the same check of /moodledata/temp/backup for files/folders. 

When version 2 of Moodle gets a .zip during a restore process it attempts to convert the backup.zip to a compatible .mbz backup first.  All that process takes place in /moodledata/temp/backup/  Also, one might need 'legacy' at the course level and at the site level turned on. (Legacy, BTW, is not desired)

And there is a work-around that works most of the time ... but not always ...

Let's say you have a 1.9 backup for 'basket weaving' course (hereafter called 'bw') and you want to restore that to the 2.3.

In the 2.3, start a new course.  Fill out minimum info and create a basket weaving course. 

When you get to the enroll users screen of that course, go to the course menu 'restore'.  Upload the bw.zip.  Moodle will recognize it's not a .mbz and attempt to convert the bw.zip backup to a Moodle 2 format. 

Eventually, one will get to a screen that displays options for where/how to restore.  *** Important *** choose the option to restore to this course replacing the contents of this course ... the one you are currently in.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

תשובה ל: Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Irith Herman -

in the Course I was trying to restore there where just such activities
1.link to a file
2.assinment

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Mark is indeed correct, if you have a site with many courses to move to 2.3.  You could install the desktop version of 2.3 and get your courses restored locally.  Then backup as a 2.3 to restore to your server.

Question: were the courses in Hebrew?  Were the files contained in courses you are trying to restore named using Hebrew?

Take it the 2.3 server has appropriate language supports installed.

And there are no errors in apache error log that might give a clue?

How about in moodledata/temp/backup/ ?  Any files/folders remaining in there after an attempted restore?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Irith Herman -

i don"t know what is the desktop version of 2.3?

the courses are in hebrew and the names are in hebrew

but the hebrew that was restord was o.k.

i dont have an access to the moodledata/temp/backup/ of the 1.9

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Mark Jones -

We just converted about 700 courses from our 1.9 environment. i would suggest that you set up a middle server with Moodle 2.1.4 installed. Backup and save the course from your 1.9 environment, restore the course to the 2.1.4 Moodle server, backup and save the course, now restore on your new Moodle 2.3. This sounds like a lot of work but in the long run the process works very well.

Also here are the setting i use for the really large courses to convert:

change this in the php.cfg file

max_execution_time =19200

max_input_time = 1500

max_input_vars = 8000 memory_limit = 1024M

post_max_size = 1200M

upload_max_filesize = 1000M max_file_uploads = 30

FastCGI Settings

Activity Timeout 3600

idle Timeout 3600

Queue Length 2000

Request Timeout 3600

In reply to Mark Jones

תשובה ל: Re: backup from 1.9 and resore in 2.3 doesn"t work well

by Irith Herman -

Hi

I installed moodle 2.14 and restored a course .

1. All activities were transferred  but to the Weekly outline and not into weeks.

2. url activity  does not work:

By clicking on the link that is what I received ...

404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:

50.63.144.56/~irit/moodle1/mod/url/%20%20%20http://fbf-classroom.com/Classroom/Authanticated/fbfPlayer.aspx?Key=B123B123 (port 80)

Please forward this error screen to 50.63.144.56's WebMaster.

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at 50.63.144.56 Port 80

3. In the assignment activity:

No links have been created without the address line of blankets click on it to go to link

i turned on the debugger

this what i get:

above the page

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/irit/public_html/moodle1/blocks/navigation/block_navigation.php on line 198

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/irit/public_html/moodle1/blocks/settings/block_settings.php on line 13

under Weekly outline

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/irit/public_html/moodle1/course/lib.php on line 3057