Anyone made a query to write grades to gradebook?

Anyone made a query to write grades to gradebook?

by Carol Booth -
Number of replies: 12

Teachers I'm working with have experienced trouble with grades being saved but apparently not written into the gradebook (Moodle Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-36024).  I'm very happy this has been fixed in Moodle2.4 and have this running on my test server ready to upgrade the live one.  I understand it's possible to go into each student's assignment and re-save the grades in order to make them appear properly in the gradebook.  Unfortunately, our teachers have adopted Moodle really well and the number of clicks to do this is scaring me!

I feel sure there should be a query I can run on the database to just copy these grades from one table to another... Has anyone done it?

I tried un-enrolling and re-enrolling students from the course - grades were recovered smile but still not written into the gradebook.  Anyone had any success with other tricks like restoring into a new course?

Thanks!

Carol

In reply to Carol Booth

Re: Anyone made a query to write grades to gradebook?

by Bob Puffer -

Somewhat confounded but very interested in what you're experiencing.  The tracker item your (broken) link refers to deals with recovery of grades upon unenroll/re-enroll and it has not been resolved.  In your post you mention "grades" being saved but not written to the gradebook and so I'm assuming your talking about the "assignment grading interface".  Sounds like those grades don't get written to the gradebook?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Carol Booth -

Hi Bob

Sorry about broken link.  I'm not actually sure my problem is exactly the same as the tracker issue but I have been told by a supplier that they are related. 

What we have seen is that when teachers grade an assignment, the grades are saved and can be seen by the student or by the teacher when they look at that particular assignment.  However, when they look at the grader report, the marks don't appear.

It is possible to make the marks appear in the grader report by going into each marked assignment and re-saving.

Carol

In reply to Carol Booth

by Bob Puffer -

I'm sorry I have more questions than answers right now.  Is this happening across all your courses?  I am unfamiliar with any bug that would cause this.  About the only thing I could suggest as a possible cause for this would be if the grades in the grader report were all overridden (cells would be two-toned brownish/orangish pukey color).  In that case resaving wouldn't affect anything.  Have you tried doing a resave for one assignment and see if that corrects the problem (perhaps on your test server, backup and restore a bad course)?

In reply to Carol Booth

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This sounds like the input_vars setting in php. issue where, when this is set too low (which it is by default), only a certain number of grades are saved in the gradebook before hitting the setting and not saving anymore.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Bob Puffer -

Yeah, that's what I thought so I asked for some clarification and it appears she's grading through the assignment grading interface and grades don't get placed in the gradebook.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Carol Booth -

now that's interesting!  On my 'to do' list is to check if my max_input_vars is too low as I had a warning.

In reply to Carol Booth

by Carol Booth -

... only interesting though smile  I added a line to php.ini

max_input_vars=9999

nothing broke but it didn't help with writing the unwritten grades from the assignments to the gradebook (I read that they might be recovered by un-enrolling and re-enrolling students but this didn't work).

In reply to Carol Booth

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This setting should have already been in there and just needed adjusting. If you did not adjust the original setting, nothing will have changed (or you might have some conflict).  

In reply to Carol Booth

by Bob Puffer -

max_input_vars controls the number of fields that can be submitted in a form.  The grader report has two fields per grade cell and two per feedback cell if you have quick feedback enabled.  max_input_vars is not going to have ANY AFFECT on grades not transferring from the assignment grading interface into the gradebook.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Carol Booth -

Thanks Bob for clearing that up.  

I think I understand my problem a little better now (but still no solution!).  We have bought a block which interfaces with our school SIMS system timetable and allows us to enrol students in class groups.  This block also seems to sometimes un-enrol students without an apparent reason.  We had noticed this problem but not connected it with the problem of grades not appearing in the gradebook.

What we saw was that students had feedback on their assignments when they looked at the directly but the gradebook reports didn't show some or all grades.  I now THINK that what has happened is students have become un-enrolled and then were re-enrolled.  Later we noticed that the grades were not present in the gradebook.  

So far as I know, recovery of grades on re-enrolment hasn't been fixed so I'd be really grateful for any suggestions on ways to get summary reports of grades for students and teachers.  

Our teachers want to be able to show OFSTED their grading records using the moodle report so it's not very helpful when grades are missing!

In reply to Carol Booth

by Carol Booth -

Things are not as bleak as I thought smile after reading again I found the option 'recover grades if possible'  in the 'enrol users' dialog going back at least to version 2.3.  I tried manually re-enrolling a student who had become un-enrolled and the grades re-appeared! Our enrolment from the MIS doesn't have this ability but at least I can enrol using Moodle 'enrol users' and recover grades to the gradebook.

In reply to Carol Booth

by Bob Puffer -

A colleague of mine has patched an issue with grades restoring (in core Moodle it only works if the users were enrolled manually) so you may want to take a look at this:

MDL-36024

We've implemented it without errors and it has helped out immensely.