I'm using 2.3.4, and I'm trying to edit an .xml file within the .mbz. I tried first to open in windows by changing the extension; however, once I changed, rezipped, and renamed, the backup type was unrecognized by Moodle.
My next thought was to ftp the .mbz onto my server (using a hosted server with control panel) and extract the file there, work on it, and recrompress in File Manager. Though it looks like my options for compressing there are .zip, gzip and bzip2.
What I'm trying to accomplish is to change the userinfo -value- from 1 to 0 in a the moodle_backup.xml. And I could do it if only I could recompress as an .mbz!