Quiz

Picture of Debbie Atkins
Remove correctly answered questions in subsequent attempts

Is it possible to remove the questions that have been answered correctly in a quiz that will be attempted 3 times? I would like the students to only answer the questions they got wrong in previous attempts.
I am using version 2.1.2

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Remove correctly answered questions in subsequent attempts
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

This is not possible, at least no one has implemented it so far. There is a tracker issue for it: MDL-15649.

Have you tried out the "Interactive with multiple tries" setting for how questions behave? To try it, edit a quetion and add two hints at the end of the form. Then preview the question and chose that behaviour. You will see that it lets you have three tries at the question within one attempt, with reduced marks if you get it right on the second or third try.

The thinking behind this is that if you tell the student they are wrong, ideally with some feedback, then they can try to fix their answer while everything is still fresh in their mind. This makes it more likely that they will read the feedback and act on it. It also makes it less likely that attepting the quiz will re-inforce their misconceptions, because misconceptoins are pointed out immediately.

(The converse point of view is that, if the students don't get the marks and feedback until later, then at the time when they get the marks, and go to review the attempt, then they review the material for a second time, and thinking about something on two occasions is better for learning than thining about it just once. As usual, what is most effective depends on the exact situation. Anyway, Iteracitve with multiple tries is worth a look some time, so you can make the choice.)

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Debbie Atkins

Thanks Tim. Will give this a try.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

This would involve some very tricky logic, I think.  For example, what happens if each exam contain 10 questions, and the question bank has only 25.  Let's say the student gets 9 correct on the first two tries, what happens on the third?  Should the 3rd attempt only provide 7 questions?  And then what is the grading logic if the student gets 6 out of 7 correct, what is the final score in the grade book? 

I am just providing some thoughts about this, not knowing where this Moodle Tracker item might end up.  Sometimes, when I see posts like this I wonder how I would do this manually.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Debbie Atkins

Thanks Rick. Good thinking. More complicated than I thought. 

Picture of Brandy Weaver

Just a thought on this. As a teacher, in my use case an appropriate approach to this problem be to select first from questions not yet answered correctly, then (if not enough not-yet-answered-correctly questions are available) fill in the remaining spots with previously-answered-correctly questions.

Therefore in your example:

Prior to attempt 1: 

25 Not-Yet-Correctly-Answered Questions

0 Previously-Answered-Correctly Questions

Ten Question Quiz: All 10 from from NYCAQ.

9 are answered correctly, and their "flagged" status is changed from NYCAQ to PACQ.

1 is answered incorrectly, so its flag does not change.

Prior to attempt 2:

16 Not-Yet-Correctly-Answered Questions

9 Previously-Answered-Correctly Questions

Ten Question Quiz: All 10 from NYCAQ

9 are answered correctly, and their "flagged" status is changed from NYCAQ to PACQ.

1 is answered incorrectly, so its flag does not change.

Prior to attempt 3:

7 Not-Yet-Correctly-Answered Questions

18 Previously-Answered-Correctly Questions

Ten Question Quiz: All 7 remaining NYCAQ questions + 3 PACQ questions.

At this point, a new question arises: If a NYCAQ question is answered incorrectly, it remains NYCAQ, and remains a "priority" candidate for an additional quiz attempt (if more are made available). If it is answered correctly, its flag changes from NYCAQ to PACQ. If a PACQ is answered correctly, presumably it would remain a PACQ. 

But what if a PACQ is answered incorrectly? Does it revert to NYCAQ? Do we keep multiple levels of PACQ (Answered-Correctly-Once; Answered-Correctly-Twice, etc.

So this method doesn't solve all questions, but hopefully it provides a possible approach to the issue.

I'd love to see some sort of implementation of this. It seems to promise a great way for students to target their weaknesses, by automatically prioritizing questions by which have been answered correctly the least.